Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The 3Cs - cycling, coffee, commuting

Hi all,

I'm sure this is an issue that has perplexed almost a few of you.

I am a cycle/rail commuter who likes a coffee in the morning for my journey. I have tried numerous varieties of reusable cup, and found none that fit my requirements of 1. fitting in the bottle cage, 2. keeping my coffee warm for at least an hour, and 3. not leaking. (supplementary 4. hasn't got a lid that stupidly comes open on its own or breaks easily).

Currently using an Aladdin metal cup which perfectly meets 1, 2 and 4, but not 3 as the seal where the lid screws on is pants. A previous plastic Aladdin failed at 2 and to some extent 1. I really like their closing mechanism as it hasn't broken over a couple of years unlike the spring-based ones from other manufacturers.

I'm appealing to you to share your experiences and suggestions as I have yet to find something that meets all my needs.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

melliott | 4 years ago
2 likes

After weighing up the various options suggested (the wife vetoed the barista bike), I decided to go for something like the Kinto Coffee Tumbler. I found the Noma cup https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZXSVL7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl... which is basically a copy of the Kinto.

The Elite looked really nice, but was probably a little large (500ml vs 350ml) as I don't need the best part of a pint of coffee for my commute.

So far the Noma has not leaked and has kept my coffee hot (very hot in fact). Really impressed. The outer surface has scratched slightly when in the bottle cage, but that doesn't bother me one bit YMMV.

Thanks for the advice.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Found a much better solution at https://www.velopresso.cc/

(Love the name "Perky Blenders" by the way)

melliott replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

Found a much better solution at https://www.velopresso.cc/

(Love the name "Perky Blenders" by the way)

That is amazing. I'd love to rock up to the station on that. Might not be much fun getting it into the train, but I think I could recoup my fare.

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

There must be some demand a grinder that mounts to a crank somehow

hawkinspeter replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
2 likes

Nick T wrote:

There must be some demand a grinder that mounts to a crank somehow

Found this contraption, but the website has expired so I doubt there was too much demand for it. Personally, I don't want coffee grinds stuck in my gears or chain oil in my coffee, so I'd rather keep them separate.

pockstone | 4 years ago
4 likes

Sorry mate, but you're doing your commute all wrong.

The train section should drop you at a deserted station in the Grampians/mid Wales.

You should then push your bike through mud/snow for 30 miles to a (unoccupied) bothy miraculously well-stocked with firewood, kale and fine single malt.

Coffee will be taken care of by having with you a) an Aeropress, b) a well tarnished and slightly bent Bialetti espresso jug, and c) a flimsy contraption to suspend a Rapha sock over your enamel tin mug with which you will filter your single estate grown Peruvian coffee (roasted with aforementioned firewood and freshly ground with the Spong grinder you took with you.)

Another  30 miles of carrying your bike, and you and your fellow commuters (two gnarled and bearded blokes and one lissom young woman) will arrive for work refreshed and caffeined up ready for the working day ahead.

Otherwise... try Greggs.

hawkinspeter replied to pockstone | 4 years ago
2 likes

pockstone wrote:

Sorry mate, but you're doing your commute all wrong.

The train section should drop you at a deserted station in the Grampians/mid Wales.

You should then push your bike through mud/snow for 30 miles to a (unoccupied) bothy miraculously well-stocked with firewood, kale and fine single malt.

Coffee will be taken care of by having with you a) an Aeropress, b) a well tarnished and slightly bent Bialetti espresso jug, and c) a flimsy contraption to suspend a Rapha sock over your enamel tin mug with which you will filter your single estate grown Peruvian coffee (roasted with aforementioned firewood and freshly ground with the Spong grinder you took with you.)

Another  30 miles of carrying your bike, and you and your fellow commuters (two gnarled and bearded blokes and one lissom young woman) will arrive for work refreshed and caffeined up ready for the working day ahead.

Otherwise... try Greggs.

Spong grinder: https://www.home-barista.com/grinders/spong-coffee-mills-grinder-for-23rd-century-t16165.html

(Sloppy)

pockstone replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

(Sloppy)

Thanks Peter. Remiss of me not to provide a link, but I'm on my way to work and  there's no signal on Rannoch moor.

Municipal Waste | 4 years ago
1 like

Check out the Kinto Coffee Tumbler. I use one with a plastic bottle cage and it is incredibly firm. Keeps coffee hot, looks good and you can replace the rubber gaskets that are the only real wear and tear component. Not cheap but made well enough to justify the price.

If you like coffee their website is a dangerous place too and you'll end up with a £60 carafe  4

0 likes

If I were buying one now, I'd probably go for the Elite - I don't think that was around when I was looking for one. Klean Kanteen does have the advantage of lots of different options - colour, size, lids etc.

This is the lid that I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Kanteen-Unisexs-Black-Medium/dp/B01KM5VMGI

melliott | 4 years ago
2 likes

Thanks guys, they both look good. That Elite looks just the ticket with the screw top lid.

It's only to drink while I'm sat on the train, so the valve cap is a little redundant, but I may have to give it a go.

Dear Road CC Editorial Team, I'm more than happy to do a group test of commuter insulated cups if you want...

0 likes

I've got a couple of Klean Kanteens that fit the bill. They're double walled, vaccuum insulated, stainless steel and should fit your requirements. To be honest, I've never really bothered using them on the bike for hot drinks, but they should be fine for that (I tend to use them on holiday in hot countries for keeping some cold water handy in a rucksack). You can get different lids for them including a typical hot drink supping lid though I tend to use the loop lid (definitely no leaking) and drink from the base metal.

Here's one of the models that I've got (not cheap though): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Kanteen-Unisexs-Vacuum-Insulated/dp/B01GFQ04DK

ktache | 4 years ago
3 likes

The Elite Deboyo stainless steel double walled insulted bottle is one of the best ever cycling objects I have ever brought.  It keeps my tea hot for a couple of hours and warm for very many more.  I managed to get a Coca Cola branded one, but my bottle cages had worn away all of the logos.

I use the flat screw on top, it's insulated and I do not use the valve cap, chances of scalding the mouth and also that's it's just plain wrong drinking good tea through a valve.  The metal rim is excellent to drink from.  Yes you do have to stop to drink, but this is not water I'm gulping, this is fine tea I'm savouring. 

It's so good that after washing the mud off it I use it as my at work cup, allows me to keep a cuppa going for several hours if needed. 

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/thermal/deboyo

It would appear that there is a new valve cap, it might have been improved.

Latest Comments