Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels Upgrade Question

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my stock wheels to Prime Blackedition's. (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-blackedition-50-carbon-disc-wheelset/)

Im thinknig about getting the 50mm depth over 38mm since racing triathlons and other gran fondos recreationally and plus the 100g would not be a big deal when climbing for me as a recreational rider.

I own a Bianchi Aria Disc with 142x12mm thru axle hub with 1.5mm pitch threading. 

Would I need some special adapters or anything else for this wheelset?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIBSXl5FsgA

I saw this video and it gives me bugs regarding the HUB, would I use mine's hub or they come with their own hub so I need to only buy new rotors for the disks and be ready to set them up and have 2 spare wheelsets that can be easily changed depending the needs?

Also is there HUGE difference between 38mm and 50mm regarding aero and side wind problems? It gets pretty windy here and don't want to end up not being able to ride these wheels at all, or its just a matter of time in learning how to handle them?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

viktorapo | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I've got some Prime RR50s (the previous model to the Black Edition ones) and I haven't had many issues with the wind. It's only been two or three times that I've noticed the wind catch the front wheel and it wasn't a problem and it was in gusty conditions. However, I'm very cautious when the wind goes above 20mph and will abort the ride unless it feels safe.

The thru-axle adaptors do the job nicely and fitting the rotor only takes a minute.

chocim wrote:

"buy new rotors for the disks and be ready to set them up and have 2 spare wheelsets that can be easily changed depending the needs?"

Yes, you just need to buy rotors, but be prepared to adjust brake calipers slightly each time you change wheels - in theory they should be in the same position, in practice not so much. I have Prime RR 50's and setting things up was easy in general - put the Centerlock rotors + cassette on using the cassette tool, put tyres on, adjust the calipers and ready to go.

kil0ran wrote:

Listing says it comes with an adapter from QR to 12 x 142 so that's all good, and should be the same for the front wheel. Yes, you'd just need discs.

No experience with riding 50mm rims but I don't notice any significant problems on my 35mm rims .

thanks for the input so far guys, unfortunatelly they're out of stock and will be replaced by new 2020 model in April. I hope they wont be super expensive regarding the fame they got.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

I've got some Prime RR50s (the previous model to the Black Edition ones) and I haven't had many issues with the wind. It's only been two or three times that I've noticed the wind catch the front wheel and it wasn't a problem and it was in gusty conditions. However, I'm very cautious when the wind goes above 20mph and will abort the ride unless it feels safe.

The thru-axle adaptors do the job nicely and fitting the rotor only takes a minute.

chocim | 4 years ago
1 like

"buy new rotors for the disks and be ready to set them up and have 2 spare wheelsets that can be easily changed depending the needs?"

Yes, you just need to buy rotors, but be prepared to adjust brake calipers slightly each time you change wheels - in theory they should be in the same position, in practice not so much. I have Prime RR 50's and setting things up was easy in general - put the Centerlock rotors + cassette on using the cassette tool, put tyres on, adjust the calipers and ready to go.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Listing says it comes with an adapter from QR to 12 x 142 so that's all good, and should be the same for the front wheel. Yes, you'd just need discs.

No experience with riding 50mm rims but I don't notice any significant problems on my 35mm rims .

Latest Comments