Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo 10 speed chain replacement

I need to replace the chain on my Campag Veloce/FSA drive chain.
Do I have to use a campag chain or is any 10 speed chain compatible?
There is conflicting advice on the Internet.
Also, sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't used the forum for a while and I can't find the search option in the new layout.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

pockpedaller | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all

Went for the KMC X10, seems to work fine

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

I use KMC X10-73 on my commute bike with Veloce.

Prosper0 | 4 years ago
1 like

I have campag on a load of bikes. Any 10 speed  KMC chain will work just fine. 

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Any 10 speed chain will "work", the inner diameters are pretty much the same for all 10 speed systems so they'll all fit on the teeth of the cogs and chainrings fine. The only place you may have an issue is in the front shifting, the outer diameters might vary a touch more from chain to chain which may affect how the cage shunts the chain over. In practice, you'll be hard pushed to notice the difference unless your front mech is badly installed or something 

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Search is very top left corner.  Cannot help witht the chain.

pockpedaller replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, but I tried that and I only got articles and no forum posts in the results.

Is there a way of only searching for forum posts?

ktache replied to pockpedaller | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sorry...

And as not one of the campy fans seem to be answering,

I have always used sachs/sram on my 7/8 and 9 speed shimano systems.

And then I have gone more towards the KMC chains on my 7/8 and single speed.  They still make exceptional chains for "heritage" systems.

It might make a difference on the top end 12 speed stuff, but on 10 speed you might be able to get away with it.

mike the bike replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Any 10-speed chain will run nicely on your system.  I'm currently running a KMC chain on my Centaur set-up and it's every bit as good as a genuine Campag example.  Plenty of people have told me it won't last as long but I remain to be convinced.

Most of the alternatives to Campag also come with a 'quick link', which is another reason to buy one.

pockpedaller replied to mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks ktache and mike the bike,

I will try out an alternative. There is a KMC X10 on at Wiggle at the moment that looks as if it would work.

Dnnnnnn replied to pockpedaller | 4 years ago
0 likes

It will.

Latest Comments