Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Extinction rebellion - by bike

https://www.spirefm.co.uk/news/local-news/3034909/climate-campaigners-ta...

I agree with the main message / objective here - too many cars and we especially don’t need them in our city centres. But I’m really torn about the methods - deliberately cycling slowly, the article says.

Having said that, pedestrianised streets are a mixed blessing - once the shops close you often get a desolate central area, with the ring road the traffic now goes on serving as a moat.

Anyway, I fear for the people who have got to ride those streets after the protest has finished - doesn’t doing this risk upping the ante, short term at least, on the “bloody cyclists” anger and alienation?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Simon E | 4 years ago
2 likes

From the article:

"We've been campaigning for years to reduce traffic in Salisbury city centre, make it a safer place to live and more climate friendly. We want the city to be for people not cars. The Council has not done enough. We need to see action. NOW!"

The council have done nothing. This will at least get publicity (it has done so already). It may make some temporary enemies but there's nothing like being a PITA for bringing about change - even if it's slow it's better than no change at all.

It also comes at a time when the damaging health effects of pollution, especially diesel particulates, is getting stronger. A recent BHF report stated that 15 million people in the UK live in areas where average levels of PM2.5 are above WHO guidelines and that 160,000 could die due to air pollution in the next 10 years.

What alternative strategy would you try?

If a driver takes out their frustration on anyone, whether part of the demo or not, then they deserve to be dragged from their vehicle and given a proper hiding. They don't own the streets, and driving a car doesn't give them the right to abuse, intimidate or threaten violence to anyone else.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

I don't see an issue with slowing traffic for an hour. Traffic jams do that regularly anyway.

Latest Comments