Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

New Finnish study confirms that BMW and Audi owners drive like idiots

//i.imgur.com/KQXu1vb.png)
From: https://www.treehugger.com/cars/new-finnish-study-confirms-bmw-and-audi-owners-drive-idiots.html

Quote:

To gain answers, researchers carried out a study of Finnish consumers. A total of 1,892 car owners answered not only questions about their car, consumption habits and wealth, but also questions exploring personality traits. The answers were analysed using the Five‐Factor Model, the most widely used framework for assessing personality traits in five key domains (openness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, extraversion, agreeableness). The answers were unambiguous: self-centred men who are argumentative, stubborn, disagreeable and unempathetic are much more likely to own a high-status car such as an Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

The study referenced is here (sorry, paywalled): https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ijop.12642

Is this the right room for an argument?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Robert Hardy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think we all knew that, though it's nice to have one's prejudice confirmed. Now, what brands will they be riding when they are not in their car but on their bike?

Mark_1973_ | 4 years ago
2 likes

And the indicator pack should be standard on all new BMWs, not an optional extra.

hawkinspeter replied to Mark_1973_ | 4 years ago
1 like

Aren't they leased and charged per use?

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

SO WHY THE FUCK AM I DRIVING A PEUGEOT?!?

Anyone want to swap?

Tinbob49 | 4 years ago
1 like

Hmmm well, when I had a choice of company car last year, I chose an Audi principally because I like to be an exception to the rule smiley

Then again, does a 1.0liter A3 eco boost engine count towards the stereotypes?

And I still carried on commuting by bike and left the Audi in the company car park for when I need to travel to see clients.

cycle.london | 4 years ago
1 like

Brilliant.  I'm trying to get access to that study through the OU. 

Something I've noticed is that such men are also much more likely to get out of the car and use their fists if their behaviour is challenged. As such, I think that there is a greater reluctance on the part of their 'victims' (cyclists, pedestrians, other vulnerable road users) to challenge them, and of course, this perpetuates the sense of entitlement, which when challenged, means that they are much more likely to get out of the car and use their fists if their behaviour is challenged... and so on.  

F*cking c*nts, the lot of them.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Good find HP.

Bentrider | 4 years ago
3 likes

"self-centred men who are argumentative, stubborn, disagreeable and unempathetic are much more likely to own a high-status car such as an Audi, BMW or Mercedes."

It needed a study to find this out?

jollygoodvelo replied to Bentrider | 4 years ago
1 like

Fascinating. 

It would be interesting in my view to analyse the *age* of the cars driven by these people.  I don't doubt - at all - that the average driver of a new-to-3 year old Mercedes A-class or BMW 4 series matches this characterisation, but what about the drivers or 10 or 20-year-old examples?  Are they more careful, or less?

It would also be interesting to see what correlation there is between these personality traits and the quality of their driving: yes, we all have anecdotes, but do extroverts attempt more dangerous overtakes?  Do stubborn people park wherever they like?

I would love to see the personality traits for other car brands and even models - the stereotype driver of a Toyota Prius would generally be more introverted, for example, and in my experience they're a liability on the roads.

Brand perceptions in different countries or even areas would come into play also: the average driver of a Mercedes in Finland, Florida and South Africa are very different people.

Disclaimer: Speaking as the owner of a BMW and a Mercedes...  4

Latest Comments