Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wonderful parking examples

Hi all. I know car parking is a perennial topic, but I thought I'd share this especially interesting example I noted on my way to work yesterday morning, presumably left there overnight.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

antigee | 4 years ago
1 like

//live.staticflickr.com/1950/43893219520_5b5156144f_c.jpg)

Down under ... suburban Melbourne

Philh68 replied to antigee | 4 years ago
0 likes

All too common. Is the fine for that still $155?

antigee replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
1 like

very common...out of state plates but still suburban Melbourne....$155 but once out from the centre a bit don't think enforcement on radar 

//live.staticflickr.com/65535/49505087253_dcb79fde54_5k.jpg)

Philh68 | 4 years ago
1 like

Just visited Perth, Australia and had a similar encounter on Victoria Ave, near where the Nedlands council put up its ridiculous anti-cyclist signs:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0iZam_SDSz7xfEAP46eqPm9dA

brooksby replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Philh68 wrote:

Just visited Perth, Australia and had a similar encounter on Victoria Ave, near where the Nedlands council put up its ridiculous anti-cyclist signs:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0iZam_SDSz7xfEAP46eqPm9dA

That first one - "Cyclists please be quiet in residential areas" - has come up on local newspapers here in the UK from time to time, usually in chocolate box villages with no facilities full of retired stockbrokers...

Philh68 replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

The area in Perth they’re in is full of rich a-holes in their Chelsea tractors. The signs were only erected in November, to my knowledge without main roads approval. The mayor is anti-cyclist, calling cyclists the problem and having suggested on tv news that residents may resort to road blocks to deal with them. An utter tool.

Don’t let the pavement colour fool you, the section of road where the truck is parked isn’t actually a cycle lane despite appearances. It’s signposted so cars can park there 9am to 4pm Mon to Sat, over-riding the bike lane symbols painted there. Everywhere else I went in Perth was great. It’s just Nedlands that’s shite.

Hirsute replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Is it becasue they have squeaky brakes?

Philh68 replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think it’s more just smug rich people hating cyclists for having the temerity to be there at all, than cyclists having done anything to deserve it. It’s just council using a passive aggressive means of telling them they aren’t welcome.

ktache replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
1 like

Hope freehubs?

Philh68 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

They want cyclists to be quiet, the sign says nothing about the bike yes

RobSC replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
0 likes

If it means that large groups don't yell at each other when they pass through at 6am on a Sunday morning then that seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

Looks like the handbrake has failed and the car has rolled out of the driveway into the road. Easily avoided by parking the car in gear.

melliott replied to Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

I did wonder about the handbrake, but I checked. It was parked there on purpose. The parking on that side road is perpendicular to where the car is now. My guess it's someone who's arrived quite late, leaving again early and thought they'd leave the car out of the road (mostly).

Hirsute | 4 years ago
5 likes

I prefer to park like this, then I don't have to walk far.

//ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16433/production/_110778119_mediaitem110778118.jpg)

ktache | 4 years ago
3 likes

I understand that on tonights Ch5 Parking Hell:At War with the Law (notice, not with the motorist?) Brum's PC Mark "RoboCop" Hodson "has his sights set on reckless parkers clogging up cycle lanes."

I have never driven, so do not understand some of the mentalities and do enjoy these weird parking programmes and the attitudes shown.  The belief that motorists should be able to, and expect to be able to, store their huge vehicles wherever and whenever they want for free does confuse me.

Or that by putting your hazards on then it's alright...

Hirsute replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

When I notice a car parked in one of the bus stops in the high st, they seem nearly always to be parked next to a sign that says "no stopping at any time".

brooksby replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

Or that by putting your hazards on then it's alright...

But...  You mean that you're NOT allowed to park wherever you want so long as your hazards are flashing?  I am shocked.  Somebody needs to tell the general public about this new law.

brooksby replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

I understand that on tonights Ch5 Parking Hell:At War with the Law (notice, not with the motorist?) Brum's PC Mark "RoboCop" Hodson "has his sights set on reckless parkers clogging up cycle lanes."

I started watching it, and gave up because i could feel my blood pressure rising surprise The sense of entitlement on display...  The kid who said, "I pay road tax, I pay insurance, and I spent £26K on this car - why should I have to pay £3 to leave my car for an hour in the town centre?"...  Who then went on to show the tricks he uses to try and leave his car around his town centre while he goes to work without paying to do so.  Like, any bit of unwatched tarmac that isn't explicitly marked as no parking.  Horrible programme.

Latest Comments