Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2019 Specialized Allez Elite. Mudguards

Hi apologies if this has been asked already.I searched but couldn't find any info.
Has anybody successfully fitted full guards to the above,with 25mm tyres.
I bought the bike as it was a replacement for my winter bike, after I was took out by a car.
It was a good price,and quite happy with it,apart from the mudguard dilemma.I had some Flinger guards but they didn't have enough clearance.I also tried some guards a mate had given me,same thing wont fit.I have written too Specialized asking them for recommendations but 3 weeks down the line still no reply.I have FLINGER RACE PRO CLIP MUDGUARDS on now,but really want full guards.There's mudguard eyes on forks and rear,as well as the chainstay bridge.Any body had any joy finding a pair.
The Flinger pro race throws too much crap out of caliper gaps and my bike is always the filthiest on club runs,the good bit is I have to sit on the back all day  3
I don't want to use 23mm tyres either.I don't get why there's mudguard eyes if you cant fit guards,and why they sell it with 25mm tyres if that's the cause.
Any help appreciated.The bike below cheers
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/13623/2019-allez-elite/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Borann | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi

In having a similar issue with the 2021 specialized alle elite.
I have purchased the flinger race pro clip on mudguards and the rear fits ok with a little bending of the metal bridge but it looks like there is no chance with the front as the clearance between front tyre and underside of fork looks about 3 mm.

I don't know if there is much difference between the 2019 and 2021 models but has anybody managed to get these mudguards fitted front and back on a bike like this?

Thanks

IanEdward | 4 years ago
2 likes

Yeah, Specialized were pretty sneaky with the marketing of these bikes and none of the magazine or website reviews called them out on it.

Basically when they said the frames had space for 28mm tyres, what they actually meant was 25mm tyres but mounted on the stock R460 rims, so that the tyres actually measured up as 27mm. If you order a set of actual 28mm tyres they will barely fit.

Also, using 25mm tyres with mudguards leaves virtually no clearance. I butchered a set of SKS Bluemel 35s to fit, chopping the front guard to stop at the back of the fork crown (using a Sheldon 'Fender Nut' to mount the mudguard into the back of the brake bolt).

I also chopped the rear guard either side of the brake calliper and used a PDW Z-Bracket to grip the rear portion (the Z-Bracket extends over the calliper and grips the mudguard like a normal bridge). I superglued a stretched piece of innertube between the two sections of guard to stop the calliper getting pasted with muddy water from below.

It sounds like a faff and took a bit of experimenting and Dremelling, but the end result is actually pretty neat and works really well. Still a shame that the bike doesn't really live up to the dream of a lightweight aluminium rim brake road bike with space for 28mm tyres and guards!

zero_trooper replied to IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kudos for the effort put in  1

#indremelwetrust

flyingpitman replied to IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks IanEdward,it's a shame they spoilt a good bike by lack of thought.I will just stick to the Flinger race pro clip ons.I got a bit of DPC out of the shed and fixed that into gap @ calipers,so will see how I get on with that.Still no reply from Specialized,I wonder why  3  cheers

Joe Totale | 4 years ago
2 likes

I know someone with an Allez, they had to resort to using 24mm tyres with full guards and had to buy these fancy guards and tyres. This person is very handy when it comes to fettling and even then it took them hours to fit with a lot of swearing. Even now the clearences are very tight! 

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/portland-design-works-full-metal-f...

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/irc-aspite-wet-dry-road-clincher-t...

TBH unless you're made of money and want to keep using 25's I'd advise to keep using the Flinger clip on guards. 

flyingpitman replied to Joe Totale | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks Joe,I thought it must just be me who had problems with it.I don't understand why they put mudguard eyes front and back yet clearance is an issue.The bike came fitted with 25mm tyres too.I now know why specialized haven't replied to my emails.I have managed to cobble together a mud flap on rear guard,so at least team members won't get covered now  1   cheers for the links too.

Latest Comments