Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle sores @ narrow chami - pls help!

Thanks for reading. Very grateful for any help.
In summary – I’ve been riding for just over a year, haven’t changed bike, saddle, position, shorts - anything. Including body shape/weight (I’m a freak who’s been 6ft and 71 kg since adulthood). I ride x3/week. During the last two months I have developed saddle sores after every ride, which means I can’t touch the bike for a week+. They hurt. Red chaffed skin which then develops into boils. Nice. It’s destroying my fitness, and having a knock-on effect on other parts of my life. Suffice to say, I need to ride.
I never wear the shorts more than once, use MucOff chamy cream, wash kit in antibacterial laundry additive, change as soon as I return home, use antibacterial soap, and Sudocreme. Not much more I can do.
By process of elimination I think it might be friction, caused by most of my shorts (decent enough, gel) having channels (for “airing” - total BS) which encourage the chamy to fold and crease. I have other shorts with no channels, and I guess they also crease, as they too cause this.
1) can gentle friction cause this sort of injury, I guess I do lean forwards more than when I started cycling,
2) I would be hugely grateful for tips on narrow or minimal chamois. To be honest, I don’t get how they are really meant to work, any sort of pad will crease when you’re sitting on a narrow saddle and your legs are so close they’re touching. I tried running leggings for no chamy- error. Molto pain.
Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Stratman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the progetto X2 pad.  I picked up some Castelli Body Paints half price a few years ago, and I've stuck with Castelli ever since.  Not had problems even on all day rides, and never used cream.

You can get trial saddles in some places which you can take out for a ride, so that might save a costly mistake.  (Although we finished up buying the test saddle for my wife!)  

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Difficulty you've got is that you've now got scar tissue and inflammation down there. How long are you riding for? It might be better to go out for shorter more intense rides until everything is healed. Are you shaving that area? It might actually be impacted hair follicles causing localised soreness. You're more likely to get those if you shave or trim.

You say that you're leaning forward a little more so you have in fact changed position - small changes make a huge difference to weight distribution around contact points and pedalling dynamics. Personal experience of this - intense lower back pain solved by a bike fitter (surprisingly to me) lengthening my stem by 10mm. Completely counter-intuitive but it meant that I was bearing more weight on my hands and my lower back muscles were under less strain.

I think the key here is to get healed up and then make one change at a time and see how it goes. Build your distance/time on the bike slowly - the aim should be to come home with no inflammation or soreness.

Saddles don't need to be painful, and you don't need a chamois to ride comfortably as long as you get the right saddle and aren't doing pro mileage. I now ride a Brooks B17 in padless mountain bike shorts with zero issues, even after an extended time off the bike. 

HeadDown replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thank you Kil0ran, I think you're right. 
Desperate to make the most of the kids away at half term I did 65 miles at a leisurely pace a couple of days ago, and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. So, there is a world of difference to your body position between caning it for two hours, and an endurance position for four and a half (all of my riding is the former, bar the odd longer holiday jaunt). Not something that's easy to judge when you're riding. Same shorts same bike set-up, absolutely no soreness or friction, and actually ready to do the same again the next day. 
Lesson - when they say an endurance saddle, they mean it. But the question does still remain outstanding, as to how I had no issues for a year before, on quick rides.  

Thank you to all for the replies, again.

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ditch the bum cream I'd say. Never used it personally, never felt the need, never had a particularly bad saddle sore. I would think it's better have nothing slippery there to encourage movement between skin/shorts, rough fabric stays rough even when greasy 

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd definitely try lowering the saddle a touch and if you still have problems (and the money) go for a bike fit. They say a good bike fit (possibly with a recommended saddle) removes the need for chamoix cream also

HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thank you very much for the replies. My saddle is a Fabric Scoop Radius Sport, steel rails. Not a big fan, seems poorly designed with hard plastic/shell right on the edge where the softer topside ends. 
I will probably try another saddle, and all the fun that that selection process involves, but the fact remains that, having written for 11 months with no problem, this condition has developed. It's unlikely to be the saddle therefore. 
- any tips on (non-grooved/channelled) chamois shorts, the narrow the better, gratefully received!

Thanks again and safe riding. 

iandusud replied to HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes

Saddle choice is of course a very personal thing. But I suspect we have a similar morphology. I'm 60 and 6'1" and 70kg, and like you have held that weight more or less since my late teens. I note that your saddle has a rounded top. I find that the saddles which work best for me are ones with a flat top and also with not too much padding. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but firmer saddles are definitely better for longer rides. I had Prime Endurance saddles on both of my road bikes until recently until the rails broke on one of them. As they were not available at the time I replaced the broken one with a Flite Flow. They both are great for me. Although I haven't spent more than about 4 hours at a time on the Flite yet. The Prime saddle is available again and it is a bargain IMO

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-ti-endurance-road-saddle/rp-pr...

The Flite is here:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/selle-italia-flite-flow-ti-saddle/rp...

For what it costs I would suggest you try the Prime just to see if a flatter saddle works better for you.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ian

HeadDown replied to iandusud | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much Ian for that, appreciate the time. 

flyingpitman replied to HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes

The Radius was made for the more upright riding posistion.Link below for position.I use the Flat and find it very comfortable.Also have the progetto x2 pad in one pair of shorts,Assos in another,and the Endura in yet another.The Endura have different widths of pad to suit sit bones.Hope you get it sorted soon,as it's a nightmare.

https://fabric.cc/findyourfit/ 

HeadDown replied to flyingpitman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much @flyingpitman, appreciate that. Stupidly I'd not thought of checking the Fabric site. Bizarre that Cannondale would equip my Synapse Carbon Disc with a leisure saddle - it flies with lively handling, otherwise. 
thanks again, HD 

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Only you'll find the answer to this, and there's a host of good answers here already, however in my experience things to check:

1) Old bib shorts lose their chamios comfort after a while, the most comfy shorts can cause the worst pain, once they've gone they've gone.

2) Correct sized bib shorts, I've learned the hard way that if you're inbetween sizes, size down on bib shorts, a chamois too big is a nightmare, a chamois which can move about can also be horrid. 

3) Bit personal, but longer hair can cause chaffing, mitigated with chamios cream obvs, but you could try getting the clippers out. 

4) Pilates.. joints and things can be more or less flexible, e.g. you can have longer or shorter limbs to a surprising degree. Pilates can help with this, I'm sure other things can too, but I've recently been on a talk and learned a lot about our bodies imbalances and things we can do to mitigate or change things.. (possibly off topic) including leg length, how most people don't actually have one limb shorter than the other contary to popular belief, it's more a skeletal positioning thing which can be changed with some focussed exercise. 

flyingpitman | 4 years ago
0 likes

What Rutland said.

I dropped my saddle an 1/8th of an inch after getting same as you are experiencing.

I couldn't understand after all the years I'd be riding why it started to happen.Then after Doctors visit for annual MOT I discovered I'd lost height.Did my bike set up,used Assos cream (excellent by the way) and hey presto job's a good un.

Other thing buy some good shorts and don't skimp as they are worth it.Castelli progetto x2 and Endura's pads in right size for you are worth getting.I'm sure others will have their own favourite pad.

iandusud replied to flyingpitman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest what saddle are you using?

flyingpitman replied to iandusud | 4 years ago
0 likes

iandusud wrote:

Out of interest what saddle are you using?

Hi iandusud,not sure if that was for me or O.P. I use a Prologo on the good bike and a fabric on the winter one,both 134mm wide.I couldn't choose between the two now,as both very comfortable.The saddle I had when I had issues was a concor,but it was the height that caused my under carriage problems.It was a costly repair job,new saddle,new shorts,and assos creme.Then I found the answer was an 1 1/8th of an inch.We live and learn even at my age.What's that saying, every day's a school day   3 

rutland | 4 years ago
0 likes

Saddle sores are often caused by the pelvis not being stable on the saddle - hence the rubbing - and the most likely cause of pelvic instability is the saddle being too high.  So, try lowering your saddle - it may feel a little strange to start with, but give it a chance...and it's free.

Quattro95 replied to rutland | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have had similar problems, also use Muc-off chamois cream, it works well. My suggestion is getting your saddle width checked. I found my saddle was to narrow for my sit bones and that lead to the saddle sores. Also, make sure your saddle is level. These are two things to check. As others mentioned, your saddle could be to high. Good luck with the adjustments, you’ll figure it out.

Latest Comments