Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain length

Hi I currently run a 30-54 on the front and 11-28 on the rear.
My question is if I change the cassette to a 11-32 how many more chain links do I need to add please ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

AfterPeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's two links. I did the reverse and had to remove two. Can't remember how I worked it out but it was definitely two.

srchar replied to AfterPeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's a pretty easy sum:

32 - 28 = 4 teeth difference.

1 chain link spans 2 teeth.

4/2 = 2 new links.

The thing is, basing the new chain length on the old one assumes the old one is correct, which isn't always the case.

Nick T replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rear mechs are also designed to cope with standard chainrings, so you've got more range to play with on a compact. Chances are the chain will be be fine as is

Nikolai | 4 years ago
0 likes

Assume you mean 34 - 50 on the front ?

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Possibly none. We don't know how long your chain is now. Just fit the cassette, try and put it into 50-32 on the stand, you'll soon know if it's long enough, it's not rocket science 

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just found an online calculator: https://www.bergfreunde.eu/chain-length-calculator/

Plugging in some numbers and it works out at 2 links different (assuming the default 400mm chainstay).

If you want some more detail on chain lengths, the Park Tool website has a good page on it: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Personally, I tend to put the chain on the biggest chainring and biggest sprocket and pull the chain so that the derailleur is a little bit off its maximum position and then eyeball how many links to remove. I tend to err on the more links side as it's easier to remove an extra link than it is to add one (I don't like the idea of putting in extra quick links), and it doesn't usually cause problems having an extra link or two or three.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Probably 2, but you're better off downloading the instructions for your groupset and using the manufacturer's method to set chain length, e.g. Campagnolo specifies the distance between the chain and jockey wheel in small/small.

Latest Comments