Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Choice Dilemma

Hi all,

Just looking for a few opinions if you don't mind.

I am currently at my d-1 limit of bikes, which consists of a hybrid (Specialized Sirrus) that I use through the winter and a roadie (Triban 500SE) that I use through Spring and Summer and is currently attached to the turbo trainer.

I am trying to put together the cash for a new machine (specifically a Triban RC520) but need to replace one of the current incumbents rather than take on an extra (by agreement with my better half I can only have a maximum number of bikes, guitars and computers around the place).

The dilemma is ... do I replace the 500SE, which has served me well for over 11,000 miles so far (3,000 of them on Zwift) and do a straight swap using the new one for Summer and turbo use OR replace the Sirrus, use the RC520 outside all year round and retire the 500SE for turbo use only?

Any thoughts welcome.
David

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes
HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Jetmans Dad

The N-1 dilemma! Personally, I'd be swayed by what I use the hybrid for. I use mine for getting to the station, and need a quick but easy-to-handle traffic beater. If you also use yours for casual riding around town for example, I would keep hold of it. If you don't so much, I would ditch the hybrid, so your second option, as I find that when I take the hybrid out for a training or atrocious weather run that I really miss the better position and drop handlebars etc. 

The RC 520 seems a good machine and is of course well reviewed here on road.cc, but I thought it was worth mentioning that you can pick up some fantastic bargains for not much more if you time your purchase correctly. That is, unfortunately, normally October, as the stores clear out the last year's range – but if you keep an eye out on the usual sites something will definitely crop up. Here you https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-domane-al-4-2019-road-bike-EV340571

Latest Comments