Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubless tyre not sealing by the valve

Looking foir some inspiration. I have a Zipp 30 rear wheel that I am trying to fit a Continental GP5000 TL tyre to. The front went on fine, no issues, seated & sealed with no problem. The rear does not seal on the non-driveside by the valve though the rest of the tyre seals fine. I have tried moving the tyre so that a different section is by the valve to confirm it is the rim not the tyre but get the same result. Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Sevenfold | 4 years ago
2 likes

Thanks to all contributors especially ktache whose suggestion to use diluted washing up liquid seems to have worked (not counting chickens etc. just yet) but the tyre has inflated correctly & seems to be holding pressure without sealant.

ktache replied to Sevenfold | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ta mate, I'm no expert, only fitted my first set of tubeless a week ago, but you pick these things up.

If you go back to tubes, douse the tube and the inside of the tyre with talc, it's meant to reduce rolling resistance, but it also takes away the stickyness of the rubber on the bead, making getting the bead over the rim easier.  Messy as hell, but it works.

Sevenfold replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Yes, aware of the talc trick - have always used it when I can. It was my first time with tubeless as well but the sealant is in now - just waiting for some better weather to give them a spin. Thanks for the advice, it was much appreciated - just goes to show what a good bunch the Road.cc users are. 

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
2 likes

Is it an asymetric rim? If so, you'll need an adapter: DT Swiss make them.... They cost a Euro online from Germany, but there's an English 'entrepeneur' who's selling them on ebay for £9, It is not me! 

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

lather up some soap and apply to tyre, rim bead, then valve and finally spoke nipples. Bubbling up should show leaking air

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Was the rim bit spotlessly clean before fitting?  Any traces of old seal might interfere a bit.  Or any other crud.

The diluted washing up liquid helps with general seating.

Sevenfold replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, it had never been used tubeless before. If it could get a tyre on/off more easily, I'd still be running inner tubes...Tubed Schwalbe One's just about go on but very difficult. Continental GP4 Seasons - not a chance in hell!

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Strange - the only thing I can think of is that the bead is getting trapped between the bottom of the valve and the rim bed. Maybe making it a bit more slippery would help - a little bit of washing up liquid and water smeared around the tyre bead often helps.

Edit: How about taking out the tubeless valve and popping in an inner tube just to confirm that the tyre and rim can fit together. Then remove the inner tube and try the tubeless option again.

Sevenfold replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. The front wheel/tyre combination is the same & that went on/up no problem. The reason I decided to go tubeless was the fact that tubed tyres are virtually impossible to get on without levers &I find this tends to damage the inner tube putting it on. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try & see how I get on.

hawkinspeter replied to Sevenfold | 4 years ago
0 likes

Also/alternatively, you could try swapping the front/rear tyres to see if it's anything to do with the tyre. I doubt that it is, though as moving the tyre around the rim should have highlighted any problem with the bead. For the record, I'm running GP5000TLs on a pair of Prime RP50s and didn't have any issue.

Freddy56 replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

bloke standed on roadside yesterday on a pair of GP5000. he had puncturd, tubeless didnt seal and we both couldnt get the fecking tyre off.

tightest tyre ever, would put me off. you had bother?

hawkinspeter replied to Freddy56 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Freddy56 wrote:

bloke standed on roadside yesterday on a pair of GP5000. he had puncturd, tubeless didnt seal and we both couldnt get the fecking tyre off.

tightest tyre ever, would put me off. you had bother?

No problem at all with mine and I wouldn't consider myself particularly good with installing/removing tyres - I use tyre levers for both.

The quick fix "anchovy" kits are a good option for tubeless - I had a puncture last year (not in a GP5000TL) that didn't seal, so got out my dynaracer kit, pushed in an anchovy, re-inflated and cycled off. Total time was about 1-2 minutes.

Latest Comments