Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oxymoron Alert; Reputable Cheap Carbon Wheel Manufacturers >

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

i know this topic is a common one, and you're all probably bored of replying to similar threads. But...

Can anyone recommend a carbon wheel company other than Lightbicyle, Yoleo etc. on Ebay or Aliexpress.
There are a vast amount of suppliers on these sites, so sorting the wheat from the chaff is purely down to personal experience.

So if you have experience of any, can you please advise who yours were from.

I have about £300 to spend on some carbon 50mm clinchers and dont mind waiting a couple of weeks for them. I have experience on Novatec wheel hubs, and i'm happy with those.

I eagerly await your replies with thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd hunt around on the forums, there are some great bargains to be had. Got myself a pair of Vision Metron 40SLs - current model - for just a shade over £500 last year, they look practically unused and have been absolutely brilliant. Also found a set of Campag Bora One 50s for the best bike for around the same price, the 2018 model with the wide rim and AC3 brake track, again, looked virtually unused. Just be patient and you can find absolute bargains.

Example: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/342056/#comment15038413

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
1 like

Honestly I'd just buy a set of Hunt wheels at that budget.  Alloy, sure, but the weight is about the same and you're supporting British jobs which are going to need all the help they can get over the next few months.

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

What's wrong with Lightbicycle or Farsports (those two are very reputable)?

I'd have a pair of rims from them anyday of the week. 

Joe Totale | 4 years ago
2 likes

I'd spend a hundred quid more and buy Prime ones from Wiggle/CRC. 

If there's any issues there's a much higher chance of them resolving it and you're not having to send them back to China. You won't run the risk of being shafted by import duty or the risk of iffy quality control.
I know it wasn't really a factor for you but delivery will be in a couple of days, what with the Coronavirus epidemic in China right now componants from there may be delivered in several months time, not weeks as usual. 

They use the Novatec hubs that you're happy with. 

If money is tight they do interest free credit as well. 

Canyon48 replied to Joe Totale | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, second this, I found prime wheels to be really good value for money - I've heard good things about the value of Hunt wheels too (in fact, I've ordered myself some Hunt wheels).

hawkinspeter replied to Canyon48 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thirded!

Team EPO replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Buy Hunt wheels or some random ones on Amazon as then at least you get some return rights

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINDBREAK-BIKE-Carbon-Clincher-Wheels/dp/B06XPP...

hawkinspeter replied to Team EPO | 4 years ago
1 like

Team EPO wrote:

Buy Hunt wheels or some random ones on Amazon as then at least you get some return rights

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINDBREAK-BIKE-Carbon-Clincher-Wheels/dp/B06XPP...

I've never had any issues with returning Wiggle stuff and I haven't wanted to return my Prime wheels. I did get a bike shop to replace the rear wheel bearings a while ago, but they'd had lots of use in wet weather so I don't think it's much of an issue with those bearings specifically.

Liam Cahill replied to Joe Totale | 4 years ago
1 like

Prime all the way if you're looking to go cheap but good quality. But if you're strictly limited to £300 then a second hand set. 

Buying from China these days means you will be paying the import duties.

Latest Comments