Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cheshire Cat Sportive a post mortem

I have completed my first (last?) sportive...

As an inexperienced road rider the 3hrs 10min and 45miles of the event appeared to go well. I very much enjoyed the passing of some mega-money bikes ridden by MAMILs (Middle Aged Men In Lycra), even the one who'd split his shorts.  31 Had I known the cut off from Silver to Bronze was at 3hrs I might have spent less time chatting at the food stop - my GPS tracker App. did have my 'Moving Time' as 2:53 so I could have done it, just.  3

Queuing around the cold carpark for over an hour to get to the start line was a pain, as was the queue for the 'Certificate' at the end... But, hey-ho the food was good and Wiggle trying to sell me a carbon race bike was a laugh. On the subject of humor, I got some very odd looks from riders (those I passed and those that passed me) because I was on a single speed commuter bike, a few did ask if I was riding a fixie.. I did admit to being daft, not suicidal.  1

Would I do it again? I doubt I'd go further-a-field just to ride appalling potholed roads, but next year I 'might' be convinced to try for a sub-3hr 45mile ride around Crew.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments