Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclewear of choice

Just wondering what everyone wears when they ride, especially in different conditions.

I normally use some good nike bibshorts with either a cannondale jersey or (if im feeling brave/stupid) my slipstream jersey. A cannondale jacket or if raining a nike acg storm jacket.

Do you ride with/without helmet, gloves, glasses etc

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

AdamML | 14 years ago
0 likes

I spent ages looking for some 3/4s I didn't feel stupid in the pub in, but could afford (as nice as the Rapha Fixed ones are, they are beyond my budget). I'd highly recommend the Royal Racing Plus 44s.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I wear one where I think it might make a difference - riding in groups, going offroad, or on rides where I think the roads might be a bit sketchy and there's a possibility of a fall… hardly ever wear one for my commute though

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

Interesting that so few people mentioned helmets - I wear one when I'm commuting any distance and riding on roads with traffic. I've got a Specialized that looks like a skate lid and I wear because it's so obviously stronger than most of those shell efforts. I had a Bell before that but it wasn't as strong and didn't fill me with any confidence. As I ride a motorbike as well I'm used to wearing a helmet and I'm not convinced by the security offered by most cycle lids.

Oh, and when I'm riding my BMX bike at the track I wear a full-face moto X helmet like everyone else as getting a face full of gravel after a fall is not pleasant!

For all the years I commuted across London, I'd wear jeans and a t-shirt and some Nike shorts in summer if it was warm. For cold days I had some climbing leggings.

ourmaninthenorth | 14 years ago
0 likes

For me, life seems to revolve around my Assos bib shorts (F1 Mille) and club jersey. New Giordana Tenax shorts have arrived today.

I've yet to make it out of arm warmers and leg warmers in the UK - though I did manage to in the Italian lakes recently - and am down to a thin jersey operating as a baselayer and club jersey over the top. Sometimes wear a cap under the lid (I have a choice of a few), sometimes not. No gloves in the summer.

Winter is spent in longs - I had a great pair from Decathlon that did well for a couple of winters - an additional jersey and my club wind jacket (which is waterproof enough). Add to that a Belgian style hat with ear flaps under the lid and a fleece buff to keep my neck and chest warm. Endura overshoes to keep the feet warm together with sealskinz socks. Neoprene winter gloves.

dave6779 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I wear jeans, a tshirt (a jumper if it's freezing up north in the winter, altho i have cut back on winter rides when i was knocked off my bike by a careless lady and her vauxhall astra ((wasn't good for the confidence)) but i'm back riding most days) and a fluorescent yellow jacket. I also carry a rucksack on most journeys (i'm a uni student) i end up with around 10kgs on my back most days. It's anoying sometimes. Mind you, when i go cycling with nothing on my back it's ace because i feel so light  1  4
Kind regards, Dave.

Fringe replied to dave6779 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I wear jeans, a tshirt ..

jeans ! t-shirt!..i bet your the kinda bloke who does them welsh tricky mtb routes on an old 70's road bike with one brake..'ardman. like yer style!

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Top half: Gore windstopper jacket - for the wet days
Northface skeleton jersey - for the warm days
Howies Merino base layer - for the cold days

Bottom half: Protective 3/4 shorts
Endura shorts - for the commute

...sadly funds have limited me to 'make do' on occasion. Ideally I'd like more than one pair of padded shorts for starters!!  3

londondailyphoto | 14 years ago
0 likes

Never think too much about the brand of what I wear, except that the best stuff I've got is all Gore. I've got a gore next2skin top that is nigh on perfect - breathable, windproof, comfortable. My winter lightweight commute jacket is Gore - not as waterproof as it once was but I'm getting my value out of it, for sure. Met lid all the time (at least all the time since a few years ago when one saved my bacon when a barrier blew into the bike, giving me a quick flying lesson, finishing with a "landing on the head" exercise)

SimpleSimon | 14 years ago
0 likes

Well, I am not a Rapha man. Looks nice but is too retro for me. Anyway, in the winter I wrap up warm with my Gore undershirt, then either my Foska winter top (toasty) or a Gore top (but that put me in hospital one New Year (a long story!!)). Obviously I wear my trusty old Lusso bibtights too!
As it warms up I find it hard to know what to wear, as I get hot really quickly and tend to get wetter on the inside than the outside (if you know what I mean). I still like the Gore top as the sleeves zip off.
At the moment I will be out in my bibshorts (Panache B) ) and my trusty yet obsolete Nike vest and a jersey (I have many, although my fave is again from Panache, but I have several from charity LeJoGs and I like my JellyBelly one as it describes my shape so well).
I guess I have a motley collection of kit, from Endura and Pearl Izumi shorts, through Santini JellyBelly bibshorts to Panache 11 bibshorts.
Ultimately I want comfort and performance from my clothing, at a price I can afford  1

Blow | 14 years ago
0 likes

I must admit that I suffer from Rapha addiction too.

On the road bike I will wear their shorts, 3/4, or tights.
Their winter training jersey is fantastic. Softshell jackets and gillets too. As are all the jerseys. The classic black and white and white black modernist jerseys are spot on. In France and Italy in July and August the summer jerseys are fantastic too.

For the ride into the office in winter its the fixed jersey and jeans in winter, or fixed shorts with tights. Not to mention the Tweed softshell!!! In summer fixed T shirts and touring shorts.The gloves are superb too.

Afraid I come from the Bradley Wiggins school of Mod.

My only problems with Rapha used to be the socks in XL were too small for my size 12s. That's now been sorted. The hats are great but again on the small side for my 64cm loaf!! Makes helmets a problem too. I have a Giro Ionos.

When I'm feeling like a change and want to raise a few eyebrows I don my retro Brooklyn 'captain america' jersey and hat. Not Rapha but they certainly see you coming. I also like defeet and prendas socks for daily commuting.

Like my fellow Rapha addict above I buy direct and also pick off bargains on eBay. Interestingly some out of stock new stuff on eBay goes for more than the original listed price.

I have a running dispute with a colleague at work who swears by Assos. But then she won't buy Rapha as they don't do a girls line....

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

they are the ones, i was after some bib ones but these will do the job just fine. Thank you dave

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

I need to get some 3/4 tights but I cant find any that arent outrageously expensive. Any pointers?

Hammy | 14 years ago
0 likes

yeah I'd like some baggy 3/4s for commuting the problem I have though is that being shorter in the leg department they usually end up looking more like 7/8s or even 15/16s

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm the wrong shape for Lycra... I have an old pair of Tracksters ( with Reflect printing ) 4 when it's cold, but I'm on the lookout for some 3/4 baggies.. And usually a breathable t-shirt or L/S baselayer under a cycling specific jacket. Most things are multi use with bike specific baggy shorts/jackets/gloves and a Met skid-lid.  1

thebikeboy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Some of the Rapha stuff certainly appeals, but I'm not totally sold on Sportwool cos I don't find Merino that comfortable and polyester does the job and it's not like you are going to live in it - mind you I hadn't realises that there was more polyester than wool in sportwool… so maybe I should give it another look.
http://road.cc/content/news/3896-rapha-swift-jersey-now-stock

I tend to go for the best stuff I can afford on the basis, as Jon said, that good kit pays for itself in the end. On the other hand I don't buy the most expensive kit. The higher end of mid-range is what I go for on the basis that at some point the law of diminishing returns is going to kick in.

Those Bontranger shorts reviewed here this week would appeal - a pair of Rapha shorts are almost double the amount of money, but at best I reckon they will be a few per cent better and very possibly no better at all.

TwiggyHo | 14 years ago
0 likes

I tend to don some nike or adidas short shorts, an asics griffith tshirt and asics goretex outer jacket...see i would be a useful recipient of the cannondale schwag  3

guidob | 14 years ago
0 likes

I am 6ft 6 and a little on the cuddly size, so clothing is always an issue as most cyclists, road and mtb, seem to be little skinny whippet types...

For the wet commute I have a 5 year old Nike ACG jacket which fits and has unusually long enough sleeves, this is paired with my dry weather gear which is a Motocross jersy from Shift (wicks well and is big enough), cycle shorts (any brand going big enough) which are underneath a pair of camo cargo shorts (which pocket inner tubes, tools and keys).
Luckily my feet aren't giant so the current foot wear of choice are dhb mtb spd shoes. Gloves are troy lee design full finger jobs (may be hot but I fall off too often and my hands are too precious) and finally a bell helmet, again because of the falling off and bell and met seem to be the only people who make helmets for my 61cm head...

0 likes

There is somthing to say that buying a high quality, well made, well designed product is worth the extra money as it will last and will work better. Its a barrier to get through though.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I will say that it was a classic sportwool jersey that started the whole obsession off for me!

Piggy bank beware...

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

thanks for that, i might as well raid the piggy bank a go for one, seeing as i dont fancy any of the other merino/sportwool ones available... cheers.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Worth is a very subjective thing...

I love Rapha clothing, they have great attention to little details, such as the mini pump pocket inside the centre cargo pockets of their jerseys and jackets. I lost a very nice Topeak Micro Rocket pump from another jersey before I started buying Rapha, so that jersey cost me an extra £20. The Rapha pump pocket holds the pump perfectly securely and also upright so it is comfortable.

The fit is just right, and the styling - which is a major attraction to me - is understated yet classic with a real nod to early days of time trials and all black kit that was required in the 50's etc.

The gloves are amazing, and amazingly expensive! I now have 3 pairs, I have built up a good wardrobe of Rapha gear through replacing worn out other brand kit, birthday and christmas presents and some good ebay bargains.

If you do go for a jersey, the Classic Sportwool although the most expensive, does come with armwarmers, has a full length zip and drawcord waist that makes it really versatile from cool right up to very hot days.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

hey Mr. daSy are the Rapha jerseys really worth the price tag?...just wondering cos i need a new summer jersey and quite fancy 'em..just cant seem to get over the £95, i mean i could get some new brakes, chainrings whathaveyou etc for that kinda cash.....cheers.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

My mate at work laughs everytime I get a mail from them, he reckons I am targeted by them when business is looking quiet.

Title of mail goes "You have been paid this month but not ordered from us, are you okay or should we notify the emergency services?"

I have their customer services number as my ICE in my phone!

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I like Rapha.....!

i expect rapha likes you too, do they ring you up to make sure you're okay? sounds like they'd go under without you  1

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Spring - Rapha 3/4 bibs, Rapha merino baselayer and either Rapha lightweight or classic softshell jacket depending on temperature. Rapha Grand Tour mitts and merino socks. Rapha biretta

Summer - Assos F1 Mille S5 bibs, one of several Rapha Jerseys, merino socks and rapha Crochet mitts. Rapha biretta

Autumn - As spring but maybe Rapha Winter Jersey instead. Rapha biretta

Winter - Assos bibs under Rapha bib tights, Rapha merino baselayer or winter jersey under Classic Softshell, LewisKIT merino socks, Campag Textran overshoes. Rapha biretta.

I like Rapha.....!

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

depends. endura hummvees for the ride to work, with a t shirt and a jacket if it's raining. for road rides i'll wear shorts unless it's *really* cold, then i might think about the legwarmers... a base layer and a midweight long sleeve jersey most of the time, i've got a nice polaris one that gets a lot of use...

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

three quarters, longs if it's winter, jersey (road.cc, Foska pirate jersey, De Marchi really nice multi pannelled effort, and currently testing some merino), jacket, must get some arm-warmers… er that's it, except often a rucksack cos I hate carrying loads of stuff in jersey pockets, but gonna try stuff stuff in the wool one.

Latest Comments