Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

sportwool/merino jerseys

does anyone know of any good merino/sportwool jerseys that aint Rapha, or Colomba and are resonably priced, i.e. not £95 like the Rapha ones.. cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Nice. How much did that set you back Jimmy?

James Warrener | 14 years ago
0 likes

I got one from these lot, personalised... number 1 of 1.

lovely.

http://www.oregoncyclewear.com/woolcyclingjersey.html

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

if you do go for a Colomba jersey i suggest that when you wash it that you turn it inside out, as i forgot too once and this has caused the back print to start to peel and come off..

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

never managed to find a source for the LG jersey - the 'international' distributor was no use and LG never responded to my email. I think Colomba's the one - just a shame that its not 100% wool

0 likes

Not sure how long it will be before the prototype hits the shelves, syle-wise though it's a very understated number, if the crisp, classic look if what your after I reckon you'd be better off with the Colomba - stretchy or not, given the outfit whose prototype it is the production version isn't going to be cheap.

Anyway, thought you were hankering after that Louis Garneau number?

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

interesting to know that, next time i come into some cash i may try them again..thanks.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

http://www.howies.co.uk/section.php/16/0 ?

Baselayers rather than 'jerseys' though.

0 likes

You're right Pete It was Ibex.

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Tony- I'll give that link ago.

I feel another ebay clearout coming on to ease the guilt of buying it!

0 likes

You could try here, http://epgtonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=32680

I went for the international distributor option to try and find a UK contact on the Louis Garneau site - they certainly used to have a UK distributor - if they still do whoever it is isn't listed on the site… although if you ever find yourself in the Central African Republic with a hankering for a bit of merino action Louis G style you won't be disappointed.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter replied to Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes
Fringe wrote:

this lot also do a nice looking merino.. http://www.louisgarneau.com/catalogs/catalog_product.asp?catalogue=SM9&s...

I love that jersey in white, exactly what I'm after and would even pay rapha prices if I had to (and I am a notorious tightwad). I tried their find a dealer and searched on "United Kingdom" but the nearest dealer is in Canada (though bizarrely it points it out on the map as being near Grimsby!)
I must have it!  20

0 likes

Yes, I thought they looked good - tried to get one in for test a few months ago, but never got a reply  2

Peterh replied to Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hey Tony,

You may have emailed Ibex and not us, as we certainly would have replied  1

Pop a mail over if you would like any Ibex to test.

Kind regards,

Pete

AlwaysRiding.co.uk

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

This is a really nice jersey:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/shop-for-men-143/bodywear-146/s-s-jerseys-...

Saw it at the Bike Show but don't need another jersey, and under £60 posted. I have the Ibex base layer, arm warmers and 3/4's and it is all quality stuff.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, my Treorchy high street TT jersey!

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

nice. is that your pub ride jersey?!

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Pink Mortirolo version of that with a white band and the route of the climb embroidered on the back pocket. It's one of my favourite tops

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

thanks. they are nice (colomba top that is) theres a ltd. edition Rapha jersey on ebay at the moment btw, white with black stripe and 'Aubisque' in black on the chest, very nice too... £70 starting price, if it fits, its a bargin..

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Now come on guys, I'm starting to get offended here...

I'm 6'1" and weigh 11 stone 0, a 31" waist and 40" chest and Rapha jerseys fit me perfectly!

Good choice on the Colomba top though, they are very nice.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

after a bit of dithering i went and ordered Rapha club jersey and a Colomba also, the Rapha went back (sadly, lovely red colour0 as it didnt fit right, too tight round shoulders and neck and saggy round middle. im skinny, tallish etc. Anyhow the Coloumba was a better fit for me, and £30 less to boot..ta for all yer help. cheers.

Hammy replied to Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes
Fringe wrote:

after a bit of dithering i went and ordered Rapha club jersey and a Colomba also, the Rapha went back (sadly, lovely red colour0 as it didnt fit right, too tight round shoulders and neck and saggy round middle. im skinny, tallish etc. Anyhow the Coloumba was a better fit for me, and £30 less to boot..ta for all yer help. cheers.

The Rapha one is probably designed with middle-aged spread in mind  39

Fringe replied to Hammy | 14 years ago
0 likes

to go along with the handsome pension and grandiose bonus as well i expect..my brother in Italy (who happens to live at the bottom of a few 'hills') says on sundays he sees well paid CEO's with top notch Colnagos getting driven by the wife up to the top of said hills and then coasting down dressed in all their 'stylish' clobber..

cat1commuter replied to Hammy | 14 years ago
0 likes
Hammy wrote:
Fringe wrote:

after a bit of dithering i went and ordered Rapha club jersey and a Colomba also, the Rapha went back (sadly, lovely red colour) as it didnt fit right, too tight round shoulders and neck and saggy round middle. im skinny, tallish etc. Anyhow the Coloumba was a better fit for me, and £30 less to boot..ta for all yer help. cheers.

The Rapha one is probably designed with middle-aged spread in mind  39

I'm skinny, 6 feet tall, and usually find Rapha medium are a good fit. But their sizing is a bit unreliable. I sent one back because its neck hole was too big.

michophull | 14 years ago
0 likes

Looks like Swrve have a nice one for just £38 and it's 100% merino:
http://www.swrve.co.uk/baselayers.html

0 likes

I'm going to load up the pockets to see if they go saggy

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Be interesting to see what you think - the only drawback I find with wool is the pockets sag if you have anying heavy in them. Other than that I think they feel great and are usually fine for the British summer and with a base and arms get you through most of the year.

Tony Farrelly replied to TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

Be interesting to see what you think - the only drawback I find with wool is the pockets sag if you have anying heavy in them. Other than that I think they feel great and are usually fine for the British summer and with a base and arms get you through most of the year.

Finally got out for a couple of rides in the all merino jersey - at one point I had to stick my water bottle in the pocket - if it had sagged any lower there would have been a danger of it dropping in to my back wheel. Wasn't too bad with a phone and multi-tool though the pockets have kept their shape so far although they are starting to gape a bit.

TheHatter replied to Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly][quote=TheHatter wrote:

- at one point I had to stick my water bottle in the pocket - .

was that to make your bike lighter?  1

I was out in my Descente merino today with a rapha merino base layer and for once got it right as I was not too hot or cold at any point.

As I didnt win the Colomba jersey  20 I may have to fork out and actually buy one - or is the prototype you have going to be worth waiting for Tony?

0 likes

We've got a 100 per cent Merino prototype jersey in to try out, but haven't really been able to put it through its paces yet. Going to get out in it over the weekend and see how it goes - it's not scratchy around the office - so that's a start!  1

Pages

Latest Comments