Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Problem with Garmin Edge 705

Has anyone had problems with their Garmin edge brackets? I have had 3 brackets so far as they seem to loosen up and rattle after a couple of months. Then on Friday when travelling at speed the bracket snapped off sending my Garmin flying down the road and under a car wheel. I phoned Garmin and they don't want to know even though it's still in warranty and they are adamant the bracket is sufficent. So 325 quid down the drain!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Cervelo12 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Well thanks for your feedback, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my views on the bracket. I feel cheated by Garmin as I know it was mounted properly and they refuse to accept that the bracket isn't durable enough for a unit of that size to be mounted on it. I won't be touching Garmin products again because of their poor customer service (not that will affect them in the slightest or that they will care.)

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Interesting to see what the pro's do. As for garmins customer service they told me it was "impossible" and they had "never heard such a thing" which given the other threads posted on here would seem a little off the mark.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

And here's a thread on BikeRadar that is discussing this exact problem

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12615224&highlight=edge+705

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Another thing I have noticed is that Pro riders who are using the Edge705, have them zip tied over the top of the unit and around the stem to keep the unit secure on the mount. This suggests that they also have problems with them coming off the mount...

Here's a link to a pic of Allesandro Ballan's Edge

Ballans Edge 705

And one for Julian Deans

Julian Dean's Edge

GIANT Dave replied to DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm fairly sure that they zip tied them on just for the Belgian cobbles. I had a 305 and now a 705 and I haven't had any issues with the brackets so far, touch wood.

Cervelo12 replied to GIANT Dave | 14 years ago
0 likes
GIANT Dave wrote:

I'm fairly sure that they zip tied them on just for the Belgian cobbles. I had a 305 and now a 705 and I haven't had any issues with the brackets so far, touch wood.

well the Belgian cobbles vs english roads = the same  1

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

No the 705 doesnt, it has two grooves (like all the other 'edge' units from garmin.) A couple of years back my garmin 205 did the same projection thing from my stem, going down a hill in Cornwall it flew right off the bike, over my head and bounced down the road...after that externally it looks fine (albeit with a few scratches) but would randomly turn off due to loose/poor connections inside. I had used the supplied cable ties that came in the pack but garmin insisted this was impossible, that it couldnt not have fallen off like this.
Similar happened with the cadence sensor with my new 705, it decided to eject itself from the frame at about 40mph, again garmin said its not possible with their cable ties...has happened twice though.

I would like, with such expensive items for there to be a higher quality way of fitting it to the bike than two strips of plastic.

Contact garmin, the more people that do the more they may be forced to admit that there is a weakness in this area.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

does the 705 have a hole anywhere you can put a strap through? I use a Mio digiwalker on my bike and the mount is pretty crap on that too, but you can bung a compact camera strap on it and loop it round the bars - it's saved me from losing the thing about ten times.

Latest Comments