Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

More R-Sys Problems

Just spotted this link to an article about a catastrophic failure of a post-recall R-Sys wheel.

As an owner of these wheels, this has made me a tad concerned, I'll continue using my Ksyrium SL Premiums in preference I think..

R-Sys Failure

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

there are a few pairs coming up on ebay at the moment...if you have questionnable ethics thats an option. I wouldnt reccommend it though, your wheels may never fail but I couldnt sleep at night. Oddly enough it is bike shops that have started dumping r-sys stock onto ebay.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I presume they are shocked that the string they threaded down the middle of the spokes didn't hold it all together!

I hope they do something for those of us who believed in them, it'll be an expensive lesson to learn otherwise. They must be aware that people are going to be unlikely to trust their life to these wheels now.

I know at least 2 other people that have hung them up and put their old wheels back on, just in case.

There is no way I'll be trusting them down the Galibier and the Restefonde in 10 days time (woohoo, I'm going to the Alps in 10 days....d'oh, my expensive wheels are made of spaghetti!).

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Been speaking to Mavic in France about this, as you can imagine they had plenty to say and we'll be posting a story later

Mr Sock | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yeah you don't want to be pushing that envelope when it bursts  20

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'll be sticking with wheels with steel spokes. Alu ones sound a bit dodge to me too.

But I have enjoyed reading about the new R-Sys Ultimates. Having alu drive side spokes on the R-Sys seemed a bit of a cop out. Nice to know that someone is trying to push the envelope, even though I wouldn't consider buying a pair myself.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'll be very interested in what they have to say Tony.

To be honest, I have lost all faith in them now. I have a hill in my area that I regularly ride down (as well as up, though it is purgatory), Streatley Hill, and I generally hit over 50mph, it has a pretty duff surface and a couple of tightish bends for that speed, and the thought of them giving out on that has just about relegated them to wall hangings now!

Luckily my spare set of wheels is some 08 Ksyrium SL Premiums, and they may not be so stiff on hard cornering, and a tad heavier, but they are tough, light enough and more aero.

The down side is I'm left with a £900 set of wheels that I don't trust and that have little or no resale value.

I'd happily swap them for another set of SL Prem's by the way Mavic....

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

As yet Mavic have not issued another recall, but you'd imagine that it's on its way - we're talking to them about that

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments