Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"travelling safely together"

My council has just recently published a road safety brochure. It does have some good advice for motorists, horse riders, cyclists and pedestrians. One bullet point for the motorists raised an eyebrow though "Treat all other road users as a potential hazard"

I may be wrong but my interpretation of hazard is obstruction/inconvenience/ nuisance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nah. Nothing derogatory there at all. As said. It was a good article. Love the idea that cyclists etc are a death risk to our 4 wheeled cousins  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure nothing derogatory was meant by it, maybe by using the word hazard, it emphasizes to look out for them and be careful like you would with any other hazard

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@gkam - the following bullet point is expect the unexpected and be patient
@sevenhills - peds, cyclists and horse riders were not advised to treat motorists as 'hazards'

In all it was a good leaflet I was just bemused that vunerable road users were defined as hazzards. Especially when the dictionary says that it is something that causes harm/injury.

SevenHills | 12 years ago
0 likes

Shouldn't that be good advice for any road user be they pedestrian, horse rider, cyclist or motorist.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not knowing in what context its said, i would take it as

Treat all other road uses as a potential hazard - meaning, you never know what ANY other road user might do, in/on any form of transport, so just be weary and ready to take avoiding action should an situation arise?

Latest Comments