Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mr Crud picks your brains

Have any of you experienced or heard about any incidents where a stone or foreign body has become lodged under the forks of a low-clearance racebike?

Or where an object has caused an accident by being flipped up by a tyre and stopping the wheel? Is this sort of thing an occasional occurance, or too freakish to worry about?

This relates to a new road mudguard we are developing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

mistercrud | 14 years ago
0 likes

That's it then. I am incorporating a QR system into the new design.
I have been posting on other sites today and I am absolutely amazed how many people have had this happen to them.
Thanx for yr input.

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've had two front guards get something stuck - the first time the guard was of an older design and simply shattered and i came to a rapid halt but managed not to come off. The second time with a new sks design the mudguard stays released as they were designed and the bike came to a much slower halt.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

I managed to get a slightly larger object (my foot) jammed between the wheel and the fork of my folding bike, with hilarious consequences.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yep, that was a C+ contributor's guard - he did it out on his commute home in the rain - we got a few letters off of the back of it recounting similar experiences with close fitting guards, but in all the other cases the stays snapped.

What was interesting was that given the close clearance you wouldn't have thought an acorn could have gotten in.

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

sounds like we're both remembering the same incident tony. perhaps it only happened once  1

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't say it was common but it certainly happens, i remember a pic that did the rounds a few years ago of a salmon guard that had been bent back double after a stone had got lodged underneath. most guards have a push-fit connector at the dropout that releases if something gets stuck but jamming right uner the fork is a potential issue

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've never though heard of a stone lodging in a fork that didn't have mudguards to guide it in.

If the latter I know of it happening with a set of alu guards the stays of which were too strong to snap off when an acorn (I think it was) lodged between it and the wheel – this caused the guard to fold back on itself like a ribbon until the acorn stuck under the fork pitching the rider over the bars. It's a rare occurence but probably not freakishly rare.

As to objects being flipped into a wheel - yes that does happen, and is a lot less rare, they are normally not flipped in by your own tyre but by someone else's and if they are going to do any damage the most likely it broken spokes or a dented rim – which can lead to a sudden puncture and related unpleasantness.

Latest Comments