Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

who's going riding on christmas day?

apologies (again) for cut/paste from singletrack forum.

as i have no family (don't celebrate christmas either bah humbug e.t.c  3 i am going to take advantage of the quiet roads on xmas day (and go for a nice road ride  4 to avebury/marlbrough/pewsey then back to devizes. EVEN IF IT RAINS!  14

anyone else riding on crimbo day?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

46 comments

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had a bit of a nasty turn on Christmas day; having enjoyed this thread I saw this news story about a couple being killed on Christmas day with an orange bike in evidence http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/married-couple-killed-in-car-crash The thought of someone going out on a Christmas ride and for this to happen made me feel sick; knowing this area well made it worse, I think. I am now not sure of how the bike fits into this story because another picture appears to be somewhere else completely http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/riseley-death-crash-couple-killed-1... I know it is still a tragedy regardless of your choice of transport but it appears a cyclist was not one of the casualties? My sympathies to the victims, I am sure the press only bother to report incidents like this because it is Christmas; any other time of year it is not considered newsworthy... Anyway, I am off for a ride...

Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

Managed an hour yesterday between present opening and pre-lunch drinks - very few cyclists out but lots of runners.

A BMW driver was so patient following me along a narrow lane that I pulled over to let him pass, whereupon he gave me a very cheery wave  13

bfslxo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Boxing day 1hr 40min head wind mostly slower than normal average but hey was dry so BONUS  4

TheHound | 11 years ago
0 likes

Didn't get out Christmas day but did Boxing Day.

Tried out my brand new Castelli Aero Rain Jersey (Christmas present from myself  1 ) on a 40mile ride around Nottingham climbing over 2000ft. I haven't been riding long so it was easily the most difficult ride I've done. Good fun though and some nice long slopes to make me feel like a pro.

Spooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

Always late to the party but the wife told me to go out for an hour on the bike before going to my sisters on Christmas day...... She is defo a keeper!

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Went out reasonably early as well to dodge everyone else, got a nice 50k in  1 I know it was raining, but where was everyone else?? Didn't see a single cyclist in the south lakes!!

I'm trying to do the festive 500 as well Raleigh but I'm already a day behind as I didn't get to ride yesterday  20 Planning a century or so to make up for it later in the week.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, went out early enough so that all the crap drivers wouldn't be drunk yet.

Rained once, but not enough to take away from the heavily reduced traffic, hope it's like this tomorrow!

Got to do a big ride to ge ahead in the Festive 500, which nobody on the forum seems to be doing!

Squiggle replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Got to do a big ride to ge ahead in the Festive 500, which nobody on the forum seems to be doing!

I'm doing it, just trickling along getting 62.5K per day.

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

pleae excuse the copy/paste again.
i just came back from a really nice road ride.i did 33.39 miles according to google maps (1485 ft climbing  31 1484 ft descending  4

i didn't go to avebury,but just went from devizes to pewsey vale (via coate/horton e.t.c)

then went to marlbrough,then to pewsey,alton barnes and back home again.

IT DIDN'T RAIN ONCE!  43  4 saw some stunning views (also stunning skies).it took me 2h 40 min to do the ride,but i am well chuffed as the last ride i did was 27 miles and it took me 3 hours.

i even went on the drops for some of it  16

am buzzing now  4

i hope you all had a good christmas/ride  4

The Rumpo Kid replied to racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes
racefaceec90 wrote:

pleae excuse the copy/paste again.
i just came back from a really nice road ride.i did 33.39 miles according to google maps (1485 ft climbing  31 1484 ft descending  4

Did your house move uphill by a foot while you were out? (Just kidding).

My own ride was slightly different in that I came close to being doored by a car I was overtaking. The worst thing was it was facing towards me, and the moron was sitting in the front passenger seat. Just another tale of Urban Alienation...

stuke | 11 years ago
0 likes

A day off today to spend it with the wife and kids though planning on 3 hours tomorrow before going round to my mums to eat drink and be merry all over again  1

Littlesox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was planning to go out today.

Just been out with the dogs and it's bucketing down (yet again).

Having got absoloutley drenched yesterday, Saturday, Friday and Thursday I have binned the idea.

One day off won't hurt.

She who must be obeyed wasn't happy about it anyway, so I've just delivered a cuppa, woken her from her slumbers and informed here of such fact. Got a X-mas kiss for my trouble.

Happy X-mas !

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

as on nites ova xmas andf away from hme will be out for a ride in afternoon in sunny (not) northumberland  4

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Let's guess.

Argyll?

Perthshire?

Watford?

nickobec replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

@nickobec Yeah rub it in why don't you?!  4

Where are you?

Not in the same hemisphere

Raleigh wrote:

Let's guess.

Argyll?

Perthshire?

Watford?

Close Perthshire without the shire.

We have a week of 38 to 40C days forecast.

Today's ride got cut short after 9am, temperature already over 33C and forgot to put sunscreen on legs and they where turning red.

Less than 3 hours riding, over 2 litres of fluids consumed and lost over 1kg.

So it is not all fun.

Should of gone to watch the end of one of the local training rides, like 50 others did. 80km @ 43kph and 5 world tour + good local riders on the front, racing for honour.

Simon_MacMichael replied to nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes
nickobec wrote:

Close Perthshire without the shire.

We have a week of 38 to 40C days forecast.

Don't worry, we'll rub it in during July when you're freezing in the depths of a Southern Hemisphere winter with a daily mean temperature of... oh, hang on a minute... 13 degrees Celsius  13

Life is so unfair  20

Can we still emigrate?  4

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

@nickobec Yeah rub it in why don't you?!  4

Where are you?

nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, learning to ride xmas pressie to self, TT bike.

Still have to get it done before it warms up, 39C forecast for today.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

#9 is a way of life.

I don't know if anyone else is in Suffolk, but I'm sure that they will back me up on the 160kt+ wind, 6000mm of rain and the heavy blanketing of snow that we saw today,  19

In my opinion, Fair Weather cycling is... unagreeable.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

No chance for me, 2 kids aged 9 and 12 stop that from happening. Now Boxing day is another matter, Santa has been so the kids revert back to the normal  4

Pitstone Peddler | 11 years ago
0 likes

Boxing Day bimble for me too. Apparently the Chairman is bringing a bottle of port.

The weather will be perfect  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am now spending the festive period on my own some, so I shall be riding tomorrow  4

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

boxing day bimble for me, a couple of hours south of bath until the pubs open then a pint and home. anyone welcome  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Eurgh. Today was pretty awful.

Terrible drivers, pissing with rain, and a BLOCK headwind for half the ride.

HOPE ITS LIKE THIS TOMORROW AND SUBSEQUENT DAYS

(Rapha Festive 500)  4

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Eurgh. Today was pretty awful.

Terrible drivers, pissing with rain, and a BLOCK headwind for half the ride.

HOPE ITS LIKE THIS TOMORROW AND SUBSEQUENT DAYS

(Rapha Festive 500)  4

#9 - you love it!

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

quote "Do you go up Hackpen Hill?" quote

if you mean the hill at pewsey vale,i have yet to cycle up/down it on my road bike (but i will  3

tomorrow looks like it's going to be heavy rain  14 when is this weather going to stop  2 it's been tipping it down outside this morning  2

Edgeley | 11 years ago
0 likes

No. I have flu. Therefore I need to take it out on my family. Sniffle.

pdows47 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm getting new pedals, so I've got to go try them out  10 A nice few miles round the Cheshire lanes, work up an appetite for christmas dinner, and all the obligatory drinking that goes with...  10

road slapper | 11 years ago
0 likes

No such luck.... Been out this morning though, quite entertaining riding through rivers on the roads.

Tis the season to be jolly, even the majority of car, lorry, bus drivers were being friendly and screwing the nut by not screaming through the puddles / floods  3

Have a good Christmas everyone, whatever you get up to!

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll be out for an early one round your way OP.
Melksham -> Lacock -> Devizes -> Seend -> Bradford on Avon

Pages

Latest Comments