Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

It's like Torture

Why oh why did I agree to this....

Working on a Sunday in an empty office - before you ask to manage crane lifts at our site all day -  20

The sun is shining, definately a shorts only day. Beautiful, inviting country roads, catching up with teh MAMIL'S further along the road, my mind is trying to depress me with these thoughts even more so as I am desk bound. Not even a hope of getting out today.
Wishing all you Sunday riders a gloriously long and safe day - You Lucky sods.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah they used Caerphilly Mountain as part of the Welsh stage of the Tour of Britain although I suspect they went up it quicker than I did! I did have to stop for breath a couple of times, but it is 25% in places!

The descent was fun too - 37.8mph apparently, but I couldn't see as the windchill made my eyes water so much I couldn't see where I was going!

I'm quickly coming up to becoming a MAMIL too - got another decade before I it properly, but it's there on the horizon!

Going up the Cardiff side on the way out was the first time since I got my bike 2 1/2 years ago that I hit that point where the only two things in my head were the hill and the pain in my legs. Epic!

stealfwayne | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hey DJgorey

I know a bit of Caerphilly as my bro live in Cardiff - we off road up that a bit, (new to me route called 'magic') is just what it says Magic .. but those climbs are brutal. Not had a go on my road bike though...

MAMIL - Middle aged man in Lycra - a term I have seen on forums in the alst couple of years... I may be edgeing towards being called one though I always where MTB shorts over the top.

Leviathan replied to stealfwayne | 11 years ago
0 likes
stealfwayne wrote:

[Lycra] I always where MTB shorts over the top.

Why? Not scared of a bit of lycra are you?

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've just got back from doing Caerphilly Mountain and it certainly wasn't "shorts only" at the top of that! 5 degrees C and windchill. Was great to do it as it was my second attempt and first successful.

Just have to ask: what does MAMIL stand for?

Latest Comments