Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HHHHEEEELLLPPPPP!

Ok guys background 44 years old and reasonable fitness level in the w.sussex area,i started for health reasons to spend more road time on my bike (mtb with smooth tyres) last year and its become a bit of an obsession! I have 10 or 11 routes from 10 to 46 miles which i alternate and i aim to do 75 miles pw.
So the old Carrera is falling apart and im looking enviously at the streamlined sexy road bikes whizzing past me every week and i want one! Now look in Cycling weekly or various sites and there are hundreds if not thousands of recs/types/varieties of road bike the mind boggles!
I am looking for something reliable in the £800-£1000 bracket so recs please ! e-bay or new? bike fitting first? One that has caught my eye is a Ribble R872 but after 3 months of research im going around in circles so all help advice gratefully received!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

58 comments

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

bashthebox lol i think you are right  4

robdaykin great advice thanks so going on from your comment 'Trek, Specialized and Giant all do decent bikes but protect their luxury products by using the full range of component levels from bleeding edge to 'they still sell those?' There can be bargains, but rarely at full price.'
Looking at the spec of the Giant Defy above are there issues?

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looool i test it this week prob Tuesday and im sure he said the forks were carbon?! but your right i dont think i can wait any more  1 I need to get clipped in and start falling over at round a bouts and traffic lights apparently  1

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

The spec above has carbon forks, the Giant website lists aluxx. If they are carbon, then should be fine, alu ones tend to be chattery I gather. Can't say for myself, never had alu forks.

When you ride it, give it a proper thrash. Get out the saddle and hammer it, push hard into corners, and if you can find some rough road surfaces chuck it at them. Basically ride it harder than you normally would, because you've got a limited time to test it. And if anything is wrong, walk away. Don't buy it if you're not 100% happy. There are lots of other bikes out there.

I tested a bunch of 'superbikes' a couple of years back, and found a nice little circuit, near the river in York which had cobbles, a tight bend rising up a slope, and a downhill chicane. Couple of laps of that gave lots of feedback.

I don't know what shops are near you or who does demos/test rides so I can't point you at anything specific. If the Giant isn't right then you might find it helpful to just ride lots of different bikes, rather than targetting particular ones. Evans can be useful, since they carry a lot of stock, and there's lots of independent shops around London who could be helpful with a demo ride. See if Halfords will let you ride anything. I know, but they have a wide range of bikes, including some pearls. If they let you, then take out a range of bikes and get some benchmarks above and below your budget. You'll find lots of bad bikes there as well as some good ones, so you'll be able to compare. And if they'll let you ride a Pinarello then give it a go, even though it's out of budget. Riding a bike doesn't mean you have to buy it  1 Honest. You can give it back. Though you might want to trade the wife/car/house/children for it.

jova54 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you're still looking agree with Hargroves in Chichester, daughter's boyfriend got a 2013 Roubaix Sport for £800, list £1500, because it was an ex-demo model.
If you're nearer Surrey then Beyond Mountain Bikes at Smithbrook Kilns just outside Cranleigh is worth a visit.

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks chaps, Giant Defy test tomoz ,i'll report my findings  1

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

what about this one?

I have a brand new, unridden Specialized Roubaix Sport 56cm up for grabs. I am looking for £1300 (Current RRP is £1500 and last years model was £2000!)

Here is the spec:

FRAME Specialized FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS construction, 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" HT, compact race design, Zertz, threaded BB
FORK Specialized Roubaix, FACT carbon full monocoque, Zertz
HEADSET 1-1/8" upper and 1-3/8" lower Cr-Mo cartridge bearings, w/ 20mm cone spacer and 20mm of spacers
STEM Specialized Elite-Set, 3D-forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
HANDLEBARS Specialized Comp, alloy, standard drop
TAPE Specialized Roubaix tape w/ 2.5 gel pads
FRONT BRAKE Shimano Tiagra
REAR BRAKE Shimano Tiagra
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra, braze-on
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105 STI
CASSETTE Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 11-30
CHAIN Shimano Tiagra 10-speed
CRANKSET Tiagra compact
CHAINRINGS 50/34
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Tiagra
FRONT WHEEL DT Axis 1.0
REAR WHEEL DT Axis 1.0
FRONT TYRE Specialized Espoir Sport, double BlackBelt, 60TPI, wire bead, 700x23c
REAR TYRE Specialized Espoir Sport, double BlackBelt, 60TPI, wire bead, 700x23c
INNER TUBES Lightweight, presta
SADDLE BodyGeometry Toupé RBX Sport, 143mm
SEATPOST Specialized Comp, FACT carbon, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER Forged alloy, 32.6mm

I am based mid Lincs but willing to post for £30

Colin Peyresourde | 11 years ago
0 likes

My gf (and apologies if this has been said above at any point) bought what she thought was a good aluminium bike for under £1,000. She upgraded about 8 months later and bought a carbon bike above £1,000 and considers the initial purchase to have been a waste. She says the second bike is significantly easier to ride and she wishes she had spent that little bit more the first time round.

She was initially sceptical about the benefits of paying this additional money but having improved the componentry and frame she can see where she spent the money and enjoys the riding experience that bit more (ultimately she is faster and finds it easier!)

I would recommend you go the extra mile  3

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Colin and Kieth i can find a Wildside cycles in tunny wells but not uckfield?!Seems to be In Gear Cycling in Uckers? or did you mean T Wells?

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Okay dokay I LIKE CANYONS!!! Rode one yesterday after the Giant and its a different level so im looking at these two , obviously id have to find somewhere to have a bike fit (and build it) before i order but would like some advice on the specs please.

Ultimate AL 7.0 £ 1,209.00*
TO THE PRODUCT PAGE

rahmen Canyon New F8 Technology
gabel Canyon One One Four SLX
steuersatz Acros Ai-70 Fiber
schaltwerk Shimano 105 black
umwerfer Shimano 105 black
schaltgriffe Shimano 105
bremsgriffe Shimano 105
bremsen Shimano 105 Black
naben Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
zahnkranz Shimano SLX CS-HG81 10-speed
felgen Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
reifen Mavic Yksion Pro
kurbeln Shimano 105 FC-5750
kettenblaetter 50/34
innenlager Shimano Ultegra 6700
vorbau Ritchey WCS (31,8)
lenker Ritchey WCS Evo Curve
sattel Selle Italia X1 Special Edition
sattelstuetze Canyon VCLS Post
pedale none included
rahmenhoehen XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
Colour deep black ano - team
light white - team
Weight 7,70

Roadlite AL 7.0 £ 1,119.00*

rahmen Canyon New F6 Technology
gabel Canyon One One Eight CF
steuersatz Tange IS-22 SCT
schaltwerk Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 gray
umwerfer Shimano Ultegra FD-6700 gray
schaltgriffe Shimano Ultegra 6700
bremsgriffe Shimano Ultegra 6700
bremsen Shimano Ultegra BR-6700 gray
naben Mavic Aksium WTS
zahnkranz Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 10s 11-28
felgen Mavic Aksium WTS
reifen Mavic Aksium WTS 25 mm
kurbeln Shimano Ultegra FC-6750 gray
kettenblaetter 50/34
innenlager Shimano Ultegra SM-BB6700
vorbau Ritchey WCS 4-Axis (31,8)
lenker Ritchey WCS Evo Curve
sattel Selle Italia X1 Special Edition
sattelstuetze Ritchey WCS 1-Bolt
pedale none included
rahmenhoehen XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
Colour team red
light white - black
Weight 7,95

Selectable deviating configuration (can only be changed as a complete equipment package)
zahnkranz Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28
kurbeln Shimano Ultegra Triple (€50 surcharge)
kettenblaetter 52/39/30

Selectable deviating configuration (can only be changed as a complete equipment package)
zahnkranz Ultegra 6700 12-30

included in delivery
werkzeug Canyon Torque Wrench
handbuch Canyon Roadbike handbook

Cycle_Jim | 11 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Mekk poggio 2.0, its got a 105/Tiagra mix - wiggle have a few of the 2012 ones left or I'm sure some LBS might have some! The 2013 ones are just as reasonably priced!

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget the Canyon Outlet bit with previous years' models on there. I picked up a Speedmax with full Dura Ace for about the cost of the full dura ace!!

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice!

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

It was the Roadlite 7.0 was asking the question because one of the replys above talked about how good the AL 7.0 was

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

ps if my Mrs reads this they are £300 cheaper hun!  4  4  4

0 likes

The Roadlite looks very good spec. The Ultegra groupset is a solid notch above the Giant, but the ride will come down to the wheels, frame and contact points, which are probably a notch above too. If you like the Canyon, I'd say you've found a winner right there. You can carry on looking, but if you're happy, that's good enough.

The 7.0 looks very nice with Ultegra at a good price point, but you won't be disappointed with the 105 on the 6.0 if you need to compromise on price at all. Same frame, wheels and contact points so it will feel very similar.

Good luck, and hope you'll be whizzing around soon.

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

cheers fella , i'll keep the thread updated

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok advisory team , still here still looking, went to a lbs today and the (very) knowledgeable guy in there chatted for about an hour and a half to me and came up with this deal £1300 for a Forme Axe Edge Comp (carbon),wheelset-4za cirrus clincher , groupset- campagnolo veloce, tyres schwalbe lugano, set of pedals and Shimano shoes!

What do ya reckon?!

0 likes

Ride it. If it's better than the Canyon and you can afford it, buy it.

Don't know about the frame, but Campag is a good product, albeit perhaps a matter of taste. I personally don't like it, but that's personal choice due to ergonomics. Wheels are ok.

robdaykin (not verified) replied to skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes
skitza wrote:

Looking at the spec of the Giant Defy above are there issues?

no and yes  22

One school of thought is to buy the best frame you can get with cheaper components, and then as they components wear out you can upgrade over time, ending up with a pretty good build over time. So cassette, chain, maybe crankset, wheels are all things you'll look to replace over time.

The other school of thought says buy a Planet X or a Ribble, with Dura Ace at bargain prices, but a shall we say inexpensive frame. Trouble with that approach is the frame isn't the bit that wears out, and over time you buy Ultegra or 105 level bits to replace worn out DA and end up with an average bike. Ok that's maybe a bit canted, but I'm strongly in the former camp.

With the Giant, the frame is aluminium, which Giant are pretty decent at working with, but the components are a right mix, with non series cranks, ok brakes, alu fork, which is probably not ideal, and own brand wheels. GIant aren't known as a wheel supplier, but that doesn't mean they're bad. The bits you want to spend money on, the derailleurs and shifters are all 105 though, which is widely held as bullet proof. So it's a decent platform if the frame rides well.

Have you ridden it yet? If so, did you like it and did it fit? If so, buy it. NOW, stop procrastinating and get out there! Then start saving for upgrades  4

robdaykin (not verified) replied to skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes
skitza wrote:

Okay dokay I LIKE CANYONS!!! Rode one yesterday after the Giant and its a different level

Which one did you ride? If it was a far higher spec bike like the Litening then it will be a different level, and vastly different price point. If it was either of the bikes you list, then get that one. Canyon have a decent rep as far as I'm aware, and the specs are both good for the price, so ball in your court.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also, start saving for your next bike NOW. It's inevitable.

0 likes

The best selling bike sub £1000 in the UK is probably the Boardman Team Carbon. And it appears regularly second hand in good nick because a lot of those purchases are Cycle To Work, and the owner is buying another bike on the scheme or has barely used the bike before giving up again, or is upgrading having caught the bug. It's a very good bike with very good components due to the buying power Boardman have through their bulk buying. Never in the sales though.
The other value brand where you get a lot of bang for buck is Canyon (sell direct, no shops, no overhead).
Decathlon (Bt'win), Ribble and Planet X sell a lot of bikes, and do some good deals. There are a lot of club riders on those brands.
Trek, Specialized and Giant all do decent bikes but protect their luxury products by using the full range of component levels from bleeding edge to 'they still sell those?' There can be bargains, but rarely at full price.
And in between there are hundreds of others. Including Raleigh, who after years in the dark are starting to make a comeback, and are actually worth a look.

In terms of advice:

Get a bike fit.

Try before you buy. Ride it and see how it rides.

Bargains can be had. Wiggle have year round sales, other companies do clearances towards the end of the summer to make room for the new models.

You may well find Aluminium frames to be heavy, dull, uncomfortable things. There's a reason some Alu frames now have large sections of carbon inserted and carbon forks. Carbon frames can be overly stiff or stupidly flexy or just right, and without trying you'll not know if a reviewer's benchmark of 'ride all day' is anywhere near yours. I personally would never buy Carbon second hand because you don't know if it has been crashed and has hidden cracks which will reduce it's useful life. Steel is making a comeback, and will last, and ride comfortably. Ti is just expensive, and can be terrible when manufacturers try to aim for a lower price point.

Buying secondhand can be a minefield with a big market for stolen bikes and parts. There are bargains and good deals around, but be careful and try to see receipts or engage the seller in conversation (or online discussion via ebay questions) and see if they know anything about the bike or even cycling.

Cultivate an LBS for parts, servicing, advice and friendship even. The good ones won't leave you feeling obliged to buy a whole bike from them, they'll understand the market and offer you a good deal if they can, or tell you about a good deal elsewhere if they can't. In turn you will find yourself supporting them more. I've had 2 like that up north, but I've yet to find one down here of that calibre. Though I'm doing almost all my own maintenance now, so I'm not looking hard.

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Scott speedsters quite sexy too! My grand is burning a hole in my pocket!  20

0 likes

Yeah, I do see your dilemma. My first proper bike was bought without much knowledge at all - and a year down the line I wanted something quite different. In many ways it's worth getting something quite cheap and throwaway as your first bike, because believe me - you'll be getting another within a year of getting into this hobby. Best to acknowledge the fact that your first bike won't quite be right for you, and just get something that's fun to ride without being expensive.
I appreciate this isn't helping you much in terms of specifics. Perhaps look for a second hand Boardman team or something, just to get you going?

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

For the techies here are the specs:

Group : COMPONENTS
handlebar // Giant Connect
stem // Giant Connect
seatpost // Giant Connect Composite
saddle // Giant Defy saddle
pedals // N/A
Group : DRIVETRAIN
shifters // Shimano 105
frontderailleur // Shimano 105
rearderailleur // Shimano 105
brakes // Tektro TK-R540 w/ cartridge pads
brakelevers // Shimano 105
cassette // Shimano Tiagra 12x28, 10s
chain // KMC X10L
crankset // Shimano FC-R565 - 50x34
Group : FRAME
sizes // S, M, M/L, L, XL
colors // White/Black/Red
frame // ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium
fork // Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
shock // N/A
Group : WHEELS
bottombracket // Shimano Integrated
rims // Giant P-R2
hubs // Giant Sealed Bearings 24/28h
spokes // Sapim Race 14/15g
tires // Giant P-R3, 700x23c
extras // N/A

0 likes

You can get much, much more if you're prepared to buy second hand. It's more difficult if you're new to road cycling and aren't quite sure what you're looking for though...

As frame of reference, here's what I've bought second hand:

1980s Neil Orrell steel bike with modern(ish) campag daytona groupset. Heavy, but pretty. £375.
Planet-X SL Pro carbon bike with full Dura Ace. £899.
Trek 5400 carbon bike with Ultegra and Dura Ace. £500.

Even with cycle scheme, and even accounting for the need to get a decent service and maybe replace a component - there's nothing new that can get close to that sort of value. ... but brand new shiny is undeniably lovely.

skitza replied to bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

You can get much, much more if you're prepared to buy second hand. It's more difficult if you're new to road cycling and aren't quite sure what you're looking for though...

As frame of reference, here's what I've bought second hand:

1980s Neil Orrell steel bike with modern(ish) campag daytona groupset. Heavy, but pretty. £375.
Planet-X SL Pro carbon bike with full Dura Ace. £899.
Trek 5400 carbon bike with Ultegra and Dura Ace. £500.

Even with cycle scheme, and even accounting for the need to get a decent service and maybe replace a component - there's nothing new that can get close to that sort of value. ... but brand new shiny is undeniably lovely.

Im sure it is but i need to be living next door to someone knowledgable (like yourself!) cos a lot of it is gobbledy gook to me  1 Even if i was buying a decent bike on paper i wouldnt have a scooby what to look for when i actually saw it! No point in buying a great bike if its been hammered in submission and i just dont have that knowledge as yet.

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hows about a Giant Defy 1 learned cycling posters? Looks nice get a nice spec for 1K (and i can test ride it for an hour next week!)  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good point.

Try and buy British.

You'll love the bike more.

And AL.

That was my call btw.

AND.

You could easily spec SRAM Rival or full 105 on a £1k bike.

Don't want to be faffing with much less tbh.

Not worth it.

skitza | 11 years ago
0 likes

ALL the comments have been great advice thanks and keep it coming!

Pages

Latest Comments