Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Objects of lust

In which you post bike things which make you go weak at the knees.

Kicking off with the Ritte Vlaanderen frameset....

I'm not even sure I could ride it on messy roads. Maybe I could just stroke it softly.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

mathewshotbolt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Are you getting one?

0 likes

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Trouble is, most of these bikes people are lusting after are pure race machines. You'd need to be quick as **** in order to avoid looking like a numpty on a sportive!

It's be like having a target on your back. Worse than wearing a Sky top, I reckon!  3

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Trouble is, most of these bikes people are lusting after are pure race machines. You'd need to be quick as **** in order to avoid looking like a numpty on a sportive! [/q]

Oh yeah. Because everyone on this forum rides sportives. Really slowly.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Too many Cervelos posted, ruined this thread for me. Every well off rider who thinks they ride as well as they acquire money has a Cervelo around here..

Imo that Capagnolo Anniversary set.

ashfanman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good choice on the latest English TT bike. Also like the Rittes, even if they do amount to a very expensive paint job.

Cipollini RB800 (although would look nicer with a conventional seat post):

//www.mcipollini.com/images/uploads/collezioni-2013/bici-da-corsa-cipollini-rb800-whitegold-zoom.jpg)

Cannondale Supersix Evo Team (I know it's garish, but there's just something about it that I really like):

//media.cannondale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/340/small_image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/_/c_13_3RSE0D_liq_8.png)

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

People hating on Cervelos.

I do not condone that.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I really don't.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

If I had a spare 4 grand right now, I'd struggle to stop myself from buying this...

It's just glorious. And such good value, in the crazy world of bike prices.

0 likes

I just find cervelos so samey. I know it's each to their own but I'd like something different. Something like a Baum maybe.

Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hang on! The title of the thread is I quote "objects of lust" not "I don't like what you do"

NB
Cervelo's are beautiful and all the neigh sayers are clearly wrong sorry to sound a little stw  1

Sir velo I doth my cap

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

You're allowed to diss someone's lust just so long as you post an appropriate substitute.

My lust thread, my lust rules!

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cervelos are the flipping taste.

Got a mini lust on for one of these:

robdaykin (not verified) | 10 years ago
0 likes

Were you riding art Hillingdon today Raleigh? For the men's elite race there was a big stack of S5s just lying around in the pits, in all sizes... Trouble is if you'd nicked one it would have been Nigel Mansell driving the car chasing you down.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm torn on what I would like my next bike to be. If its a Cervelo, I hope not to attract derogatory comments that I'm just a wealthy mamil. £1500 for an R3 frameset (2012 colours) is certainly not out of the ordinary compared to many other options...

ashfanman | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

And how does anyone "do a bike justice"? Why does it matter? I really don't get it at all. You buy a bicycle. Therefore it's yours, so you can do exactly what you want with it.

Amen.

Unless you're a pro rider, the likelihood is that the bike you're riding could be going significantly faster under someone fitter and stronger. But so long as you're having fun, who cares.

My only road bike cost me less than £1,000. I ride it as fast and hard as I can, and it makes me happy. If I had lots of money to burn, I'd buy a really expensive bike. I'd probably be a little bit faster as a result, but would no doubt be overtaken by some riders on much cheaper bikes. That would bother me not one jot.

I really don't get many cyclists' obsession with what other people are riding or wearing. If I overtake someone wearing full team kit, riding a bike that costs many times more than mine, I don't think: "What a chump. They don't deserve to be wearing team colours or riding such a nice bike." I think: "Nice bike!" and give them a mental high-five for having such an awesome hobby. Anything else is either jealousy or snobbery.

We should be celebrating seeing more people out riding - not sneering at them.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Because if it is...

I am winning.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

All day long.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

JUST TRY ME.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

tbh PX make some pretty nice bikes.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hey this is weird.

Look at the email I got today.

robdaykin (not verified) | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll keep an eye out for bank jobs in the area then... I assume it's going to be upwards of £12000. Do Brinks Mat still bring bullion through Heathrow?

0 likes

Cervelo, cervelos, cervelos. This thread just got boring!

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I guess this is pretty lush.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ashfanman, Simon E, Bikeboy76 -

You're all better men than me then, because if I drop a fat MAMIL on some ostentatious Cervelo or whatever the current fad is, wearing the full Rapha, I do think 'all the gear and no idea' and feel rather smug.

But I'm obviously a bad person. Or maybe just honest?!  3

notfastenough replied to mathewshotbolt | 10 years ago
0 likes
mathewshotbolt wrote:

Are you getting one?

Not sure if that's a question to me re the orange Kinesis Athein - if so, then I'd like to, but we'll have to see.

hammond83 replied to mathewshotbolt | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a cyfac Nerv DS2. Cannot afford Absolu.

700c replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh][quote wrote:

Trouble is, most of these bikes people are lusting after are pure race machines. You'd need to be quick as **** in order to avoid looking like a numpty on a sportive! [/q]

Oh yeah. Because everyone on this forum rides sportives. Really slowly.

No, not everyone does, clearly. Some people here really might be quick as **** , they might win races on these types of bikes.

But I suspect most don't.

Personally if I rode something fit for a pro, it'd be wasted on me and I'd feel embarrassed when inevitably dropped on the hills. Riding a more reserved/ long distance machine allows me the satisfaction when I do give it the beans and overtake some pro team fan-boy on carbon!

Simon E replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Trouble is, most of these bikes people are lusting after are pure race machines. You'd need to be quick as **** in order to avoid looking like a numpty on a sportive!

It's understandable, isn't it? Most normal folk don't lust after base model Pinnacle or cheap BSOs, just as titty mags don't have overweight, ugly women on the front, otherwise gawpers would never buy them  3

Pro racers are the people most wish to emulate and of course they get each company's best bikes.

I'd not diss anyone for buying a fancy bike to pootle to the shops or ride round a sportive at a sedate pace. If Alan Sugar can do it then so can anyone else. Just because you own a Ferrari doesn't mean you have to drive it at 150mph.

I'm struggling to think of a bicycle I would put in the 'lust' category... I may have to do some, ahem, research and return to post something tomorrow. In the meantime, this is a classy steel bike that I'd buy on the basis of its looks:

Stoemper Taylor, reviewed here.

Raleigh replied to robdaykin | 10 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

Were you riding art Hillingdon today Raleigh? For the men's elite race there was a big stack of S5s just lying around in the pits, in all sizes...

Yep, I was racing in the morning.

So much lust for the UK Youth Team Bikes.

Got my customary nod from Yanto.

Pages

Latest Comments