Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice needed regarding gear indexing

Hi all

I recently stripped my entire bike down and decided to do a DIY paint job on it which as it happens has turned out better than expected. However, I replaced all my cables, front mech, rear mech etc as well as they were a bit worn to say the least. I am now having horrendous problems getting the front mech indexed so that it jumps all 3 cogs correctly. When I get the small cog to work, it won’t move up to the middle, then it won’t move up to the big cog.

I am getting seriously frustrated with it and can’t get it in to a bike shop for at least 2 weeks due to the backlog they have. Can anyone give me some steps to follow that may help me please? All I need to know is the sequence I need to take to get the front mech functioning correctly. Thanks in advance.

NB. It’s a Claris triple setup, with FSA Tempo Crankset and the original triple shifters. Not sure what they are but I believe they preceded Claris.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

AfterPeak | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do you have an inline or inframe barrel adjuster? If so unpinch the cable, tighten the barrell all the way in then a half turn out. Make sure you click the shifter many time so that it would be at the small ring. Pull the cable hand tight and clamp it. Try shifting. If it doesn't go up adjust barrel adjuster until it does. Not likely but could also be limit screws. Sorry that all I know.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

Parktools do a good selection of howtos. Here's one on front derailleur adjustment: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment

It sounds to me like you don't have sufficient tension in the cable, but I'm no expert.

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is it a band type?  Making sure you have the correct height and that it is parrallel to the big ring are important.

When new a front deralier should have a little bit of plastic to expand the parallelogram, an hex key will suffice, and the sticker on a shimano lets you line up the height witht the big ring.

Please ignore if it is attached to a braze on.

mike the bike | 3 years ago
1 like

This is a simple enough job, when you've done it a few times.  It involves a dozen or more discrete steps and each one would take half a page of description, so I suggest for your first attempt you look at a YouTube video or two, Art's Cyclery do a good one.

Congratulations on the paint job, it's something I've never tackled but one day .....

philelson74 replied to mike the bike | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks Mike, will take a look. I have watched a ton of videos but I seem to go around in circles.

By the way, I have uploaded a pic of how the bike now looks.

matthewn5 replied to philelson74 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Serious kudos for the paint job!

Latest Comments