Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero bars for aero bars

Hey troops,

Does anyone know of any aero bars that can be fitted to aero bars....you know what i mean. In line aero bars that fit to flat top handle bars.....?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

bobrayner | 3 years ago
0 likes

Each aero handlebar has different cross-sections (and is undoubtedly shaved of a few grams in different places) so the golden age of universal clip-on bars, with a circular cross-section to the clamp, seem to be behind us. There are plenty of expensive options for fully-integrated bars for triathletes but they certainly don't involve good old drop handlebars - it feels like the middle ground has fallen away.

Personally, I really like Vision's MAS system but you'd have to buy a very expensive Vision handlebar first. Canyon make dedicated extensions to clamp onto some (not all) of their "aerocockpits". And so on.

It feels like a good business opportunity for somebody with basic metalworking machinery (or a 3d printer). I wish there were more options. I could DIY something but it would never look good enough to sell to the public.

One of the better fashions of the late-90s was clip-on extensions in the same plane as the handlebar, so you'd have to saw it down to your preferred length before clamping it on. That actually works quite well from an aero perspective, so maybe its time has come again?

TheFatAndTheFurious | 3 years ago
0 likes

The problem is that the clamps have to match the profile of the bar. Round bar + round clamp is simple. Flat-top drop bars have a variety of profiles so there's no one-size-fits-all solution. 

The Vision Metron 4D MAS bar has an expensive "bolt-through" solution where there's two teardrop shaped recesses on the top of the bar for the TT bar mounts to fit into, and are secured with bolts that go through the bar.

Giant have a clamp-on system for their SLR Aero bar, where the clamps match the profile of the flat bar. 

pwake | 3 years ago
0 likes

Profile Design used to make a carbon drop bar with flat (aero) top section and a matching set of aerobars specifically to fit. I used to have that setup but I cannot recall what the bars were called. I do remember that the aerobars were a version of their Carbon Stryke bars and the drop bars were also carbon with a nice compact drop/reach. Just wish i could remember what they called that setup...

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

You might be able to make a 'bar specific' aero bar extension fit your bars with a 3D printed insert. For example Enve do aero bar extensions to fit their aero bar - so the clamps might be able to fit your bar if you could 3d print some inserts.

However, this has to be the cheapest option! https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STPIMOTJA/pinarello-most-jaws-tt-bar--6061... At that price you could get them resprayed black if they didn't match...

Depends if you want permanent aero bars, or want to keep your drop bars and just add extensions. 

PP

Latest Comments