Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aluminium wheels replacement : Vision vs Zipp

Hello, I would like to replace the aluminum wheels of my bike BMC ROADMACHINE 02 with carbon ones, without fainting.

I selected these two but I have no idea which one to choose:

My bike is a BMC Roadmachine 02 (endurance bike) that I only use on the road. I bought an endurance for its comfort by accepting performance limitation .

Suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

I would be tempted to add the Vel RSL2 (various depth options) to your shortlist - currently discounted on Sigma Sports and seem to be great value with DT Swiss 240 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

The other option would be to find a reputable wheel builder - most have a range of "standard" options that would offer something suitable (DCR Wheels, JRA, RyanBuildsWheels, Spokesman Wheels etc.). On paper might not look like such good value as a factory built option, but you're paying for excellent build quality and generally easily maintainable/replaceable parts which can help in the long run. 

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Good reviews of both Prime and Hunt in my club. I've got Hunt (gravel spec) and happy with them.

I think around £600 is about the going rate for budget but decent carbon disc wheelsets. Remember, with disc they are going to last about as long as the bike.

PRSboy | 1 year ago
1 like

I'd strongly recommend the Prime wheelsets. All the wheels you need for a lot less £ than those. 

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-38-v3-carbon-clincher-disc-wheelset

or if you are feeling extravagant...

https://road.cc/content/review/prime-primavera-44-carbon-disc-296435?amp

hawkinspeter replied to PRSboy | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'd second that - they're a good combo of relatively cheap prices, great performance and Wiggle providing warranty.

Nat Jas Moe | 1 year ago
1 like

How about some Hunt wheels?

rmenghe replied to Nat Jas Moe | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for your suggestion but I would prefer on these two products that I can easily find in shops close to home.

Latest Comments