Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Am I too light for a steel bike?

I am the lucky owner of a Fairlight Strael 2.0. I like it, but don't quite love it. I was drawn to steel by the promise of a comfortable ride. I've had an old steel frame in the past, and loved the feel, but the Fairlight has always seemed a little bumpy, barely smoother than my alu racer. 

That was until last week, when I loaded up with a heavy rucksack which I had to deliver to a friend. Suddenly the road buzz was gone, smooth as butter. Once I dropped the bag off, the buzz was back.

Am I imagining this, or is this a thing? I'm hoping someone might be able to give an explanation.

What I think is this... the tolerances in the frame (as all bikes) are calculated with the rider weight in mind. I'm relatively light (but not that light - 65kg), and the bag was probably 7-8kg. Being temporarily heavier meant the tension in the frame was just so.

If that's the case, presumably that's true of all bikes, not just steel. Is there a solution other than putting on some weight?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments