Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any long term users of Continental GP 5000 TL 32mm? Feedback?

Any long term users of Continental GP 5000 TL 32mm? How durable have they been and are they usable off-road to any degree?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Owd Big 'Ead | 2 years ago
0 likes

Great tyres but definitely not puncture proof.

I've used them across a variety of surfaces, primarily on the road, but also on typical Sustrans off-road cycle routes, so compacted limestone and sand kind of thing and still found both grip and puncture protection to be good.

My only real gripe with them was from the only time I punctured. The sealant didn't do it's job properly resulting in the tyre not holding pressure, so I removed it and fitted a spare tube regardless, then found I couldn't refit the tyre. Between 3 hefty blokes with hands like shovels, not one of us could get the tyre anywhere near fitting again.

Result? A 10km walk home.

Not a happy chap.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 2 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest, what wheels? Mavic and 5000's definitely don't mix. Continental blamed the Mavic's when I mentioned the issue fitting them at a bike show Conti stand. 

Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2 year old pair of 28mm TL 5000s on one bike. Don't believe I have ever flatted them and I have become confident in taking them off road. Plus they're out and out fast.

cbratina | 2 years ago
0 likes

I mounted a GP 5000 tube type 700c x 32 clincher and was terrible disappointed that its width on the same HED Belgium Plus rim was identical to my 700c x 28 GP 5000 tube type, 30 mm!  So put the 28 back on to wear it out.  What's wrong with Continental?  

Sam3 replied to cbratina | 2 years ago
0 likes

Your rim internal width is?

mikewood replied to cbratina | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thought the same with the 25's v GP4000 but they do grow. And become easier to fit!

lio | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've never used them off road but they seems really good on road for me.

For quantifiable results for on road riding have a look at:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-endura...

Latest Comments