Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone ever ridden the track at Spa-Francorchamps?

I was watching the F1 and they mentioned it was 3K to the top of the track up the Eau-Rouge 'corner' and this made me think this would be quite an epic curcuit to ride. I quickly found out they have a sportive there, which is off of course.

https://www.strava.com/segments/18656586

I wonder has anyone done the event? With a lot of the big closed road events off and unlikely to return I wondered why I haven't heard of more events on racing curcuits. We are not going to damage the track and they can't be racing cars every weekend. Is it because most ofthem don't have quite the elevation gain and epic landscape of Spa? (Probably.) Is there anything similar in the UK. I will go far afield in 2021 to do interesting events if I can.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 3 years ago
0 likes

This looks like what you might be after - an 8 hour race around the full circuit either as solo or by team relay.

https://skodaspacycling.be/

Sadly, the 2020 event has been cancelled.

I've done the Le Mans 24H Velo and loved the smooth and wide surface. However, it is mostly flat and is a very utilitarian environment i.e. no trees, and only 4.2km around. Spa is a very different proposition!

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've cycled at Goodwood, there's an annual British Heart Foundation event there. Probably not as exciting as Spa, but there's a live airfield inside the track which can be quite interesting.

There have been events at Silverstone in the past, although I haven't made it there yet.

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Never done that one, but there's a similar sportive at the (old) Nurburgring, all 17 miles of it "Rad am Ring" which is on my bucket list. 

In this country there have been events at Brands Hatch, Goodwood, and others, plus I know there are local club races at Castle Combe. Does seem like an easy way for circuits to make a few quid. 

Latest Comments