Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Atrial Fibrillation - ablation and recovery

A few months ago I wrote a post about being diagnosed with Afib, and how it was affecting me. For context I am (very) nearly fifty, I started cycling regularly in 2016. I have done three of the seven day haute route events, I am not fast but I am persistent.

I had a crash last may on a fast descent, broke three ribs and bruised my heart (myocardial contusion). They noticed atrial fibrillation in the hospital - not caused by the crash, just something which develops over time. Afib is where the electrical signal sent by our natural pace maker gets drowned out by other electrical signals via a break down in electrical resistance inside the heart. They can treat it with drugs - mostly beta blockers (which gave me a resting heart rate of 48 bpm!) but left me feeling very fatigued. So I was offered an ablation, they feed a catheter in via your groin, enter into the heart and then burn the inside of the atria wherever they find electrical condution. Most often around the veins which carry blood to/from the lungs. My procedure took about an hour - typically it is 1-2 hours. I was in afib when they started, and I went into normal rhythm when they did my left pulmonary veins. 

After the operation I spent 24 hours in a high dependency ward - like half intensive care. You have to stay pretty still, the worst part for me was a sense of bloating in my stomach. Apparently this is because some of the ablation happens quite close to the stomach. It passed naturally within a few hours. I had to take anti coagulants to stop any blood clots forming in my heart which could break off and cause a stroke. I took these blood thinners for 2 months - which was a pain as I could not ride outside for that time. Where I live has some quite remote areas, and a fall would mean a big risk of major blood loss. I was thinking about cheating, but then I cut my hand doing some DIY- the kind of small nick you put your finger on for a few seconds and it stops normally. It took me three hours of pressure and elevation to stop the bleeding - so it would be serious if you lost skin somewhere away from rapid medical assistance.

The first month after the ablation I was advised to keep my exercise to walking. We have recently adopted a rescue dog, so she was the happy beneficiary of this. I did have a lot of random heart rhythm issues during this first month - I was told in advance to expect this as your heart is quite swollen after the ablation. The second month I started to do light sessions on the indoor trainer, 30 to 45 mins recovery building up to 20 minute sweet spot intervals every couple of days. 

After two months I wore an ECG for 24 hours to record my heartbeat. then went through that with a cardiologist who gave me the green light to stop the drugs, and ride again - no sign of afib. I will admit my first ride was probably a bit OTT, we have a beautiful climb near me which is about 1000m vertical in 12km of forest road - no cars. I made it, but very slowly, and my legs were pretty tired the following day. Now I am back to a more sensible training schedule.

An interesting aside - I was warned by the surgeon to expect a drop off in VO2 max after the procedure, the scarring around the pulmonary veins reduces the maximum blood flow. He said it will recover over time. I have not noticed much to be honest, it feels more like a general loss of fitness/muscle tone.

So in summary - the operation not too unpleasant, two month recovery period - was boring and frustrating. Apparently, about 80% of people like me are symptom-free after two years from a first ablation, sometimes they need to do a second procedure if they don't find all the problem locations in the first go.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

PRSboy | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks for posting... very interesting to read.  Bizzarely, fortuitous you were injured in your crash otherwise the condition may have gone undiagnosed and caused more serious issues later.

I do check for AF on my Apple Watch, though I imagine that is not particularly reliable vs proper medical equipt, but I suppose its better than nothing.  

Enjoy getting back on form...

duncanap replied to PRSboy | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks - I have heard Apple Watch is pretty good for monitoring, I don't have one but bought a "kardia mobile" device. It's a small ecg you put your fingers on and it Bluetooth'S to an app on your phone. You can email the traces to a dr, or there is a basic algorithm which picks up afib and other typical arrhythmias. Both the cardiologist and surgeon I saw had their own.

PRSboy replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
0 likes

A problem with the Apple Watch ECG is that it won't give a reading if your HR average is below 50 during the test, so I can only test after I've exercised!  Your Kardia sounds a better bet. 

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
1 like

This happened to my FiL whose a walker not a cyclist.  He had a load of issues mid-lockdown so it took a while to get the ablation sorted and he was on a cornucopia of drugs with all sorts of side effects.   Happily after about 6 months he stablised and is now out and about walking with the ramblers again.  He went from fit 10-20 mile walker to exhausted gettting out of a chair then is almost back to the walker again.

Scary stuff.  Glad you are better.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

Glad to hear you're recovering well.

Unfortunately, after seeing your post and not generally being aware of Atrial Fibrillation, I happened accidentally across this report: Instantly Converting Atrial Fibrillation into Sinus Rhythm by a Digital Rectal Exam on a 29-year-Old Male

duncanap replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

Maybe it's a middle aged man thing but that sounds a lot more fun than the ablation. So we have a reset button....

hawkinspeter replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
1 like

Duncanap wrote:

Maybe it's a middle aged man thing but that sounds a lot more fun than the ablation. So we have a reset button....

Maybe it was just that one bloke, but it seems like it's worth a shot before sticking soldering irons in your heart or however they do ablation.

OldRidgeback | 1 year ago
1 like

Wow, I didn't know about that. I'm glad you're recovering. 

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
4 likes

Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad your procedure went well and you're on the road to recovery.

Latest Comments