Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

backpack for commuting by bike

I have been looking for a good backpack for when I commute every day and I have been struggling to find one that fulfils all of my criteria.
It needs to be breathable so I don't look like I rode to work underwater.
It needs a laptop sleeve.
It needs to be comfortable and not block my line of sight (i have had this problem with other bags).
It also needs to be on the cheaper side at around the sub-£70 mark.
Any suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Richbeck | 3 years ago
1 like

Carradice Nelson saddlebag - wrap your laptop in a towel!

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

A bit leftfield, but how about a trailer?

Something like a Bob Yak, although obviously not a Bob Yak as they are bloody expensive, however they turn up on ebay on a regular basis at far more sensible prices.

Personally I use an Osprey Hike Elite 18ltr, no laptop sleeve but roomy enough to carry one if needed, but then again computers are for doing work stuff, so why would I be taking one home with me anyway?

If a bag was the only go to option I'd look at a messenger bag, somethong like a Timbuk2, bulletproof design and materials and ample room for carrying even the biggest laptops going. Doubt you'll get one new for less than £70 but there's always ebay.

gravelgraz | 3 years ago
0 likes

Probably not in your price range, unless you can find it on special, but I have an Osprey Radial 34 and find it quite good.

The laptop sleeve is fine, the carrying capacity is big enough, there are enough pockets and the light aluminium frame which makes it stand up on its own is very handy.

I do still get a sweaty back, but the breathability is much better with the Radial than anything else I've tried in the last couple of years - apart from other Osprey packs like a Talon 22, but that didn't have the laptop sleeve.

Expensive, not super light due to the aluminium frame, but works fine for my commute and as breathable for my back as I can find.

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

I too am obviously going to recommend panniers...however...

I have an Evoc Trail 20 (20litre) mountain bike back pack for big mtb rides. 

I also use it for anything else back pack related, including a lot of flights as hand luggage. It comes with a back protector which is easily removable and then a Mac Book Air fits perfectly in the protector/liquid bladder compartment (also removed).

It has big, wide waist straps with velcro and a clip so it fits real snug to the body. Imagine a back pack that you barely notice when hooning down a trail. 

Oh and it comes with a rain cover.

If you HAD to get a back pack, i'd recommend it. 

arckuk | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd recommend my Osprey Syncro 20 backpack. It's got a design that gives decent ventilation for your back, a water reservoir pocket that's big enough for a decent sized (not huge) laptop, a separate front pocket and a top keys/phone/wallet etc pocket. There are stretchy mesh outside pockets for stuffing in gloves, armwarmers etc in mid-ride and a built-in waterproof cover. It's reasonably slim and not too high, so it doesn't get in the way. I've used it daily for years on my 13 mile each way commute, and am very happy with it.

reuvenfg replied to arckuk | 3 years ago
0 likes

do you know anything about the osprey daylight plus, it says that there is a laptop holder and it's cheaper

nopants | 3 years ago
1 like

You could try a courier bag. Not so stable, but you get much less sweaty and can see over your shoulder.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've gone through a few backpacks in my time and none of them are breathable enough to stop a sweaty back. I've tried "airflow" ones that have an open mesh against your back and space for air to go between that and the bag, but if you're cycling hard, just having your clothes pushed against your back will cause sweating.

I can recommend the ProViz ones though they're not especially waterproof.

My current choice is a huge Earth-Pak one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Pak-Waterproof-Backpack-Front-Zippered/dp/B07BDQG6MG

I went for the 55L as I needed something that could fit a large boardgame into it (it can fit two easily) and as the top rolls down, it's not too big for ordinary use. I daresay that the 55L might be too big in terms of blocking your line of sight though I don't find it a problem, personally. The big advantage of them is the cheapness and complete waterproofness. No laptop sleeve though.

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

UK company LOMO do dry bags and rucksacks that look similar:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Dry-Bag-Rucksacks.html

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

went for the 55L as I needed something that could fit a large boardgame into it (it can fit two easily) ...

You know that the boards for most boardgames fold in half?  3

(Or are you intending to carry a goban with you?)

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

went for the 55L as I needed something that could fit a large boardgame into it (it can fit two easily) ...

It was a KickStarter one that got delivered to work - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/253344/cthulhu-death-may-die

Still waiting for FrostHaven - that's a big box too.

Tom_77 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

It was a KickStarter one that got delivered to work - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/253344/cthulhu-death-may-die

If my copy of Street Fighter ever shows up I'm probably going to need a cargo bike to transport it.

hawkinspeter replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Tom_77 wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

If my copy of Street Fighter ever shows up I'm probably going to need a cargo bike to transport it.

I haven't backed that, but it sure looks to be taking a long time. That's one advantage of Lovecraftian based games - no copyrights to worry about. (The downside is you end up with lots of games and not enough time to play them all)

mdavidford | 3 years ago
3 likes

Quote:

It needs to be breathable so I don't look like I rode to work underwater.

You're going to be in the backpack while cycling?

SimonAY | 3 years ago
1 like

To be fair, when the weather gets warm it's nigh on impossible to not have sweaty parts if you cycle with a rucksack, no matter how good it's circulation. Have you considered panniers?

reuvenfg replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

my bike doesn't have pannier mounts unfortunately

BrokenBootneck replied to reuvenfg | 3 years ago
0 likes

Seat post mounted version? 

cyclefaster replied to BrokenBootneck | 3 years ago
0 likes

I switched to an oversize seatpost bag from a backpack a few years back. 

I found it so much more comfortable than carrying a backpack. I think mine is 11L in size and can carry a change of clothes, a towel and my lunch in it without too much problem.

Wouldnt be able to fit a laptop in, but it's much easier on the back and shoulders. Before I used this I had a hiking backpack with a curved back and mesh layer to try and keep it off the back which I would still use if I had a lot to carry on rare occasions.

OnYerBike replied to reuvenfg | 3 years ago
0 likes

You can get racks that don't require mounts (e.g. https://road.cc/content/review/topeak-tetrarack-r2-275093) - although rack + panniers is likely to blow your budget.

Do any of the rucksacks listed here meet your criteria? https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/19-best-cycling-rucksacks-219033 I have an osprey rucksack which I rate highly, although they tend to be on the pricier side too. The one I have doesn't have a laptop sleeve, but I know they do various commuter-specific models that do.

Depending on the length of your commute and the weather, it can be tricky to avoid getting at all sweaty, not matter how well ventilated a rucksack claims to be. One option is to wear a sports t-shirt and just change that when you get to work - much quicker and easier than a shower but very effective in leaving you feeling a little fresher for the rest of the day.

CyclingInGawler replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
1 like

Having spent 20-odd years commuting by bike I'd have to recommend going down the     route of using panniers if at all possible. I just found it much more comfortable than using a rucksack, plus they place the load lower down which aids stability.

Latest Comments