Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ban on Pavement Parking Consultation

Just a quick heads up that this is now open for public comments.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/managing-pavement-parking

Personally, I find this to be the bane of my life cycling in any major town or city and of course impacts cyclists even further as motorists think cycle lanes are fair game too.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

the little onion | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've just read the documentation. The idea that this is a ban on pavement parking is false - it is really misleading. There are a whole set clauses of when parking on pavements may be permitted. Many of these are perfectly reasonable (e.g. emergencies) but some are not. For example, delivery drivers will be allowed to block pavements so long as they don't do so for more than 20 minutes. I can't see that making much difference where I live - the delivery drivers are the worst. 

wtjs replied to the little onion | 3 years ago
1 like

The idea that this is a ban on pavement parking is false

I'll take your word for it. These 'consultations' are generally rubbish- the recent one on the 'Highway Code and Cyclists' for example. Long discussions about whether it's legitimate for vehicles to stop on the cyclist section at traffic lights when the real question is whether it's deemed legitimate by the police for drivers to crash through the lights when they turned red ages before- this 'personalised number plate Range Rover' was a really gross offender but was protected by Lancashire Constabulary- reported the day after the incident and the only response from LC was to wait for weeks then declare: 'it is now too late to process'

Awavey | 3 years ago
1 like

I cant see it becoming a standardised nationwide law fwiw unfortunately, there are roads near where I live, houses built maybe Victorian/Edwardian era, they park cars both sides of the road on the pavement and it still leaves only enough width for the dustbin lorry to get through. If they were banned from parking on the pavement it would block the road completely, so where do those people in towns and cities in similar neighbourhoods then park their cars. Any answer that does not involve outside of where they live is going to be about as much of a populist vote winner as telling people to drink a cup of cat sick to ward of covid 19.

maybe theyll come up with some kind of zoning thing, but local councils seem unwilling to enforce existing double yellow line,no parking rules, today being a classic example everyone still thinks parking rules dont apply on bank holidays, they do, but I guarantee most councils wont have bothered enforcing them

Rich_cb replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
2 likes

London has a pavement parking ban and has similar streets to the one you describe.

They approach the problem by only allowing pavement parking in specific designated areas.

On my street there is ample designated parking yet people insist on parking on the pavement outside their house rather than walking the 15-20 yards to the free unrestricted parking available. Kids walking to school and wheelchair users be damned.

Would love to see it banned. Alas, I live in Wales so, AFAIK, there is no prospect of such a ban anytime soon.

Cargobike replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd imagine upwards of 7m unemployed within the next 12 months could have quite a knock on effect for a lot of people. Gone will be the days where households can afford the luxury of having 2 or more cars sitting doing nothing for 95% of the time.

Add in that the sale of diesel and petrol cars is due to end by 2035 while some MP's including Tories are pushing to have that become 2030 and there is likely to be a seismic shift in how people use vehicles for personal travel. Regardless of what they say, manufacturers will keep the price of electric cars higher than their equivalent petrol/diesel models to ensure that money lost in servicing vehicles is made up at the time of purchase.

Finally, with automated vehicles likely to become the norm within a decade or two, the actual need to own a private vehicle will recede into history, hopefully giving those of us whole live in major urban areas more space to enjoy our neighbourhoods without the constant traffic, noise and pollution we have to suffer at present.

ktache | 3 years ago
6 likes

Good.

I often wonder why, if cycling on the pavement (of course, some of which are cycle lanes (schrodingerd cycle lanes?)) is almost evil in some drivers eyes, does pavement parking, for which they must have driven on the pavement is so acceptable.

But then, driving...

David9694 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

The same drivers doing the all disabled what about-ery? No better way to say "sod all of you" than pavement parking. 

Re the cycling on pavements, it's amazing how conditioned people are to this sort of thing - until in this example it goes too far: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/police-crack-...

A Daily Mirror story briefly mentions people parking on residents' drives in genteel Bourton on the Water. 

I'll be glad to have this legal point laid to rest, although Glos Police seem be cracking on with tickets meantime. 

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

Depends whether you are blocking someone in, otherwise it is trepass with a few legal hoops to get through if you find a persistent offender.

What I don't get is people who park with the wheels on the kerb but making zero difference to the case being still only one vehicle can pass.

I have seen 2 drivers park on the pavement bit of a pelican crossing in the high st.

PRSboy replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

I once had a fella in a Range Rover overtake me as I cycled round some parked cars by actually driving half his car along the pavement.  Mind truly boggled.

Latest Comments