Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib Shorts

Is their a correct way to put on bib shorts so you don't damage them?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
1 like

Rick78 wrote:

Is their a correct way to put on bib shorts so you don't damage them?

Dont try to put them on head first would be my advice.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Aside from the gripper top tip, put them on as if they were shorts, then worry about the straps. If you are struggling with the straps, I'm afraid that most seem to be made for people with no body length so it can feel a bit of a stretch to climb into the shoulder straps. Most of the damage I've had has been washing machine catches, it seems that the webbing is prone to catching on zips of other items. 

Hirsute replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

I thought hand washing is best but you can put the item in a mesh wash bag to avoid that damage.

IanMSpencer replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

My principle works for washing machines and dishwashers - if an item can't stand the treatment it deserves to die. Closing zips does the trick - avoids half open zips tearing teeth and reduces rough bits in the wash. But a good tip, is anything delicate - or conversely anything rough (looking at you velcro) can be isolated in or out of a bag.

sparrowlegs | 1 year ago
4 likes

To minimise the need for pulling I roll up the grippers so they don't grab at the skin. The shorts then slide on better and once everything is in place just roll the grippers back down and position comfortably. 

Hirsute replied to sparrowlegs | 1 year ago
1 like

I've been doing it wrong for years !

joe9090 replied to sparrowlegs | 1 year ago
2 likes

You genius

bobbinogs replied to sparrowlegs | 1 year ago
0 likes

It's a good tip that one.  I learned it a while ago as I don't wear tights so getting shorts over leg warmers for 3/4 of the year can be quite tricky unless you roll the leg gripper over first.

The one area to be careful of with most bib shorts are the straps as yanking them hard to pull shorts up or into place can often leave them damaged in some way, and they can be difficult to repair (ask my wife, she's a seamstress and gets all my wardrobe faults and modifications).

TheBillder | 1 year ago
1 like

What damage are you seeing?

rick78 replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just have new shorts and want to make sure they are treated well so I can get as much mileage out of them as possible.

TheBillder replied to rick78 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ah, then I'd add to the above:

Wash at 30 deg or less with non-bio on delicate programme. If riding short distances frequently (eg commuting) you may not need to wash every time, but your ick tolerance may vary. A surprising amount of wear can happen in the washing machine.

Some people put socks on first so that any jaggy toenails don't hit the lycra, and athlete's foot doesn't transfer to the pad.

Latest Comments