Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Size - Confused!

Hi All,
I'm newbie to this form and getting back to cycling after 20yrs to get fitter. Once situation gets better and offices open, I would like to bike once a week to work - 25miles altogether.

I am almost convinced that I would go for Boardman URB 8.9. However, I am confused as the frame size suitability given on website contradicts to advice I got from Halfords sales person.

I'm 167cms/5'6" - with inside leg of 75cms/30".

Boardman site says:
Small for height range 170 - 179 cm and inseam between 74 - 82 cm
Medium for height range 177 - 183 cm and inseam between 78 - 85 cm

Should I go with site and take 'Small' or go with 'Halfords' advice and take Medium.

I tried 2 Halford stores, none have Medium and Small in store to try on.

Can you please give your expert advice?

Thanks,
S Dadi.

P.S: URB have flat handle bar.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

SDadi | 3 years ago
1 like

So Small it is!

Ordered Small  1

Thank you all!

matthewn5 replied to SDadi | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good, you can always add a longer stem if it feels a bit short, but a frame that's too large is a problem.

Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Go straddle the bike in Halfords - that's the benefit of an actual bricks & mortar retailer over all the web-tailers. And yes, a friend bought the last Boardman HYB 8.9E Womens Hybrid Electric Bike in the country, on spec she is at least 3 inches into the medium size height range, but can only just straddle the cross bar without damaging herself. Small would have been far better.

half_wheel79 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Go for the small, Boardmans come up quite large. I'm 175cm with an 82cm inside leg and I'd still be on a small. 

Judge dreadful replied to half_wheel79 | 3 years ago
0 likes

half_wheel79 wrote:

Go for the small, Boardmans come up quite large. I'm 175cm with an 82cm inside leg and I'd still be on a small. 

I agree, I went for a large sized Boardman road bike in about 2014, and it was really large, and I bought a Large size Hybrid in 2015, and that was also very much at the top end of what I'd consider 'large'. They weren't so bad that I couldn't get a good fit, but they certainly seem to size their frames generously.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd be very wary of getting medium tbh. Halfords don't have a great reputation for knowledgable sales staff - though it does vary wildly between stores.

I'd contact Boardman direct if I was you and ask them, I'd be suprised if their sizing was that out (unless info on the halfords website is wrong) 

Latest Comments