Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Tech

Just watched a youtube vlog from a rider of a high end road-bike recommending essentials for every journey, which included spare inner tube, chains links and multi-tool etc.

It got me thinking… I’ve spend 8 yrs riding around a bike with belt-drive, gear hub and Schwalbe puncture resistant tyres and I’ve never had a problem with any of them (approx. 20k km) - admittedly I may be just lucky.

So my Friday question is… why are so many high-end bikes (all genres) still sold with metal chain, puncturable tyres, and derailleur gears? Often paying thousands for - in my opinion - way outdated unreliable 20 century parts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

BBB | 3 years ago
0 likes

Why don't you try out a mid/high end bike for yourself and find out why most of riders prefer bikes equiped with "way outdated unreliable 20 century parts" to cycle further than to a local shop.

Sriracha replied to BBB | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm going out on a limb here - he had one before, which is why his latest bike is belt drive, hub geared and puncture proof.

My reason is that I'd like to give it a go, but money, and possibly weight. I'd love a Gates driven Rolhoff, especially for winter. Also chicken and egg style, it's a bit niche still, so the choice is limited. Like trying to buy an electric car, not much choice of different body styles yet.

Anyway, why not answer his question, since you've clearly a mind to reply?

dave atkinson | 3 years ago
0 likes

horses for courses, innit. belt drives aren't as efficient as chains, hub gears aren't as efficient as derailleurs, puncture proof tyres aren't as efficient (or as nice to ride) as lightweight tyres. that may or may not matter to you. it certainly matters on a race bike.

Latest Comments