Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Touring/Packing....what's the catch?

Just been doing a week of 'cheque book touring' in Denmark; hired bikes, self-guided, hotels and gear moved in-between.  Great fun but, as usual, the conversation went onto, "should have brought our own bikes", "we can just carry our own stuff", "wouldn't it be great if we were making it up as we went along".  The credit card total was ticking over nicely; especially when you're hungry and thirsty at the end of the day.  Sounds great to make the leap into self-organised touring/packing but always feel that, unless you're happy to stomach an astronomical bill, camping out is on the cards.  The magic might be lost clambering out of a sleeping bag into a wet morning.  I know people who have camped, occasional hotels and no cooking.  Flying with my bike; I haven't done but there's plenty of advice out there.  Any good lessons from people taking the plunge (even the amusing stuff!)?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

jaymack | 10 months ago
1 like

There's magic to a weekend bike 'tour' when the cold night in some shitty field can soon be forgotten. The answer I've found is exploration from a fixed point. All the delights of cycling somewhere different on a daily basis, none of the aggravation and a cold beer waiting for you in the 'fridge. Just get a decent bike bag as there's no magic in a damaged bike.

Latest Comments