Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike trapped in closed shop?

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what you think I can do about it.
Several bike shops have decided to close, which is totally an understandable decision in the current circumstance, but what about the customers bikes that were in for service. Evans cycles in Durham have my bike and decided to close without warning me about this beforehand. Obviously I would have taken it out if id known. It could be months until I'm allowed to collect it (assuming the don't go bust in the meantime). A car garage would never get away with this.
This is very frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I have a car so I don't have to get a crowded bus to work but others might not be so lucky. Also, I feel a bit uneasy about them having hundreds of pounds worth of my stuff and not being allowed to get it back.
Anyone else in the same boat?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

Isn't Evans being closed a consequence of everyone laughing and pointing when Mike Ashley claimed that Sports Direct was an essential service and would remain open during the current restrictions? He quickly reversed position and closed his whole empire down, which took Evans with it even though Evans was the part of his empire which could have legitimately stayed open.

mdavidford replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

Didn't they also get a bit of a bashing for insisting Evans staff keep working while refusing to take any measures to change practices to provide a safe working environment?

Presumably they judged that it would be more financially advantageous to furlough everyone than to make the changes necessary to run the shops in a responsible way.

hawkman replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

Yes I too thought initially that he spat the dummy out and closed everything but it appears several stores in the south are still open.

brooksby replied to hawkman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Maybe they did leave it down to the individual managers, then?  I know my local Evans (Bristol city centre) appears to be closed.

Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
4 likes

I'm not a lawyer, but if you can't access the shop I think it's advisable to instruct them to label the bike as your property, change their records accordingly and send confirmation to you.

That way, if they go bust, creditors have no claim on your property.

As a non lawyer I may be talking bollocks, but it makes sense to me.

ktache replied to Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
0 likes

When I phoned to organise a pick up a tool (click and collect, ordered before the lockdown) I was told that there were 11 Evans stores still doing stuff.

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

Twitter is generally the best place to get a response these days, their account is still active as of 17 minutes ago and you are much more likely to get correct help when you enquire in such a public domain. They'll bend over backwards if they can look good out of the exchange 

hawkman | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks for advise guys. I have emailed and web chat to them but I just get the response of 'thanks for your patience, we will contact you when we reopen' and something about waiting until the government tell them to open. Considering the government never told bike shops to shut in the first place they might be waiting a while.
I'm reluctant to go too hard as it might appear a bit pretty or a first world problem compared to what else is going on but yes if they continue to fob me off I may have to threaten something firmer.
Thanks

mike the bike | 4 years ago
5 likes

Write, telephone or email Evans immediately asking politely for your bike's return. There is no reason why they can't do this without exposing themselves to risk of contagion.
If you get no joy, threaten them with a small claims prosecution for breach of contract, explaining you have incurred expenses because of the missing bike.
A threatened court case like this usually gets results and will cost you only a few quid if you fill in the forms online.
Best of luck.

Nick T | 4 years ago
2 likes

Get in touch with them on Twitter it whatever and arrange collection of your property 

Latest Comments