Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bikes to work 100k+ salary

Not in any way meant as showing off post but having just got our annual bonus for this year my salary is over £100k and into the bracket where my marginal tax rate is effectively 60% (you lose your personal allowance lots of moaning online where the only recommendation is to top up your pension).

Using the calculators on the various bike schemes these all suggest I would only save  40%. I can't see why and assume this is those sites that haven't coded for this scenario but maybe I'm wrong

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice? other than just pay your tax which I'm happy to do, at a 40% I'll just buy normally as the saving isn't worth the hassle)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

hmjb | 2 years ago
1 like

Some bike shops do make a real meal of this, but if you're using cyclescheme, their charges are capped at £300. There's enough margin on a £5k bike to eat the £300 on a sale that might not have otherwise happened.

On tax: you do get tax relief at your marginal rate (so 60% for 100k-120k). Cyclescheme do also let you take it on a 4-year scheme instead of 1-year, which then drops the residual to 7% (needs checking). So on a £110k salary for a £5k bike, you'd save £3k in tax, but you'd have the residual 7% - £350. Some bike shops will also charge you a "assembly fee" - a figleaf for the cyclescheme charges....max £300. You're still effectively saving £2350, and getting 12 months finance at 0%.

On the ethics of it - hate the game, not the player. There's nothing that winds me up more than MPs bleating about Amazon/Starbucks/Goldmans not paying enough tax. Parliament has the power to change the rules, and somehow studiously avoid doing anything about it. Whether that's the fallout from the Panama Papers (which was what, exactly?) or the island tax havens, and now some wheeze for exampting the City of London from the G7 tax agreement.

Simon E | 2 years ago
2 likes

TBH unless the bike is worth a packet then the tax saved isn't huge. I wouldn't bother with the hassle, just make someone happy by paying up front with no tedious paperwork.

Rich_cb | 2 years ago
0 likes

If your marginal rate is 60% then any reduction in salary will automatically save you 60%.

I had colleagues in a similar situation a few years ago, marginal rates approaching 100%, they all went for every salary sacrifice scheme going. One got a Tesla (on lease) for essentially nothing.

Dave Dave replied to Rich_cb | 2 years ago
0 likes

Worth noting this also applies to low earners who are earning enough for their benefits to be tapered off. Similar high marginal rates apply. Obviously there's less scope for spending on non-essentials there, but it can offer huge savings.

Rich_cb replied to Dave Dave | 2 years ago
1 like

There are few policies that annoy me more than benefits tapering.

I suppose cheaper bikes are a very faint silver lining!

TheBillder replied to Rich_cb | 2 years ago
1 like
Rich_cb wrote:

There are few policies that annoy me more than benefits tapering.

I suppose cheaper bikes are a very faint silver lining!

Rich, would you advocate a universal income? Genuine question - you and I are on different sides of the political spectrum, but I would be interested to know your thoughts as I'm also exasperated by the huge marginal rate faced by some people who are trying to get out of poverty.

Rich_cb replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

I would advocate a universal basic income but in conjunction with a flat rate of taxation and a small or non existent tax free threshold.

The idea being that UBI would replace all other benefits for the majority of people and that regardless of your circumstance you'd always be better off working.

hawkinspeter replied to Rich_cb | 2 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

I would advocate a universal basic income but in conjunction with a flat rate of taxation and a small or non existent tax free threshold. The idea being that UBI would replace all other benefits for the majority of people and that regardless of your circumstance you'd always be better off working.

Sounds like communism to me!

(I like the idea of UBI - far easier to administer than the UK's current system though of course that's designed to prevent as many people from claiming as possible)

Captain Badger replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

I would advocate a universal basic income but in conjunction with a flat rate of taxation and a small or non existent tax free threshold. The idea being that UBI would replace all other benefits for the majority of people and that regardless of your circumstance you'd always be better off working.

Sounds like communism to me!

(I like the idea of UBI - far easier to administer than the UK's current system though of course that's designed to prevent as many people from claiming as possible)

Flat rate income tax is regressive, which is why it's so popular amongst rightwing policymakers.

Even with our current system the outcome is that the poorer you are the greater proportion of your wage ends up in tax to a startlingly high degree, a kind of latter-day "widows mite". Removing VAT would help to lessen this impact, although I don't necessarily advocate this per se as it has other outcomes.

Of course the above doesn't touch on the ability as you get richer to shield your wealth from the taxman - tax complexity is not about what you owe, but what you "earn". Thus the simplification argument, tenuous as it is anyway, really is immaterial when it comes to wealthier people.

me I can't see what rich folk are complaining about. I aspire to pay higher rate tax. 

I'm also interested in UBI, however it is not clear how it would be implemented wrt disabled folk, large families. It would seem that there would always be need for adjustments

hawkinspeter replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
2 likes

I don't see that all disabled needs would be taken care of by UBI as some equipment can be ridiculously expensive, so I could see that some kind of disability benefit would be needed or maybe have the NHS provide extra equipment (not sure how that would work with building front door ramps or wheelchair lifts for vehicles).

What grinds my gears is how it's more expensive to live as a poor person - electricity key meters cost more to run; small portions of food are more expensive than buying in bulk; rent costs more than a mortgage etc. I think this is known as the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned

Quote:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

Captain Badger replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I don't see that all disabled needs would be taken care of by UBI as some equipment can be ridiculously expensive, so I could see that some kind of disability benefit would be needed or maybe have the NHS provide extra equipment (not sure how that would work with building front door ramps or wheelchair lifts for vehicles).

What grinds my gears is how it's more expensive to live as a poor person - electricity key meters cost more to run; small portions of food are more expensive than buying in bulk; rent costs more than a mortgage etc. I think this is known as the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned

Quote:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

Gotta love a bit of Vimes

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
0 likes

Unless it is a BBC Adaptation....

Rich_cb replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

Yes Comrade!

I agree regarding the complexity of the current system and the effect this has on claims.

It also affects people's willingness to work, I know many people who dare not go above 'x' hours per week for fear of the impact on their benefits and therefore on their income. In many cases you genuinely are better off turning down extra work.

If those people were guaranteed to be better off if they took on more hours then many would. This would disproportionately benefit those on low incomes and increase the tax take simultaneously.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
3 likes

Of course I have no idea of your outgoings, but I think you've answered your own question: at 100k plus, you might not need the assistance in the same way as a someone on more ordinary earnings, and this is public money, which could otherwise go into flat refurbishment, D Harding's pocket, KPMG, etc etc.

Latest Comments