Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BMC GF01 Wheel upgrade - advice needed

Hi all,

I was hoping to upgrade my bike this year but with the crazy bike prices i'm having to think twice!

Therefore, I am looking for advice regarding upgrading of the standard wheels that are on my 2015 BMC GF01 Disc as the DT Swiss are quite heavy..

Any advice in to what type and specification of wheels appreciated - i don't know where to even start!

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do you know the weight of your current wheelset? That'll help rationalise any savings - if it ends up the case that you're spending £700 to drop 100 grams that might give you pause for thought. Also, depending on your current tires you might even be able to make that saving by swapping to a more spendy option, which also has the potential to increase ride quality.

For myself, as a heavier rider than many, I'm more interested in better engineering and aerodynamics. A few hundred grams will make bugger-all difference to the system weight (me, bike, bottles etc.) but decreasing mechanical or aerodynamic losses means freeing up watts. Take a look at the below:

Borg Disc 31 (https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-disc-brake-wheelsets/produ...) - lots of thought gone into the excellent hub.

Hunt 34 aero wide (https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/pro...) - apparently superlative aerodynamics for the category.

danfitzjohn replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

DT Swiss X 1900 and i think they are 1,750 for the pair

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

What's your budget?

danfitzjohn replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was hoping within a max £700

Recoveryride replied to danfitzjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

For mid-section carbon wheels, new, I think you're struggling at bit at £700. Hunt carbon 33s you're looking at £799 new, and they are probably about the best value in the sub £8-900 bracket, unless you're willing to deal directly with a manufacturer in China. 

Malcolm Borg makes very well regarded wheels (google Borg wheels), but again, you're probably looking at 800-1000, unless you go alloy.

Other than that, you're probably look at good condition second hand, or alloy. Personally, I'd look to go carbon; you could get some c.1300-1400g alloy wheels that would save weight, but most of the difference is aero improvements.

danfitzjohn replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the suggestions!

Just looking on Ebay to see what's available immediately - how do i know regarding the mm size of thru-axles and centrelock disc etc. as i'm not familiar with these terms

many thanks

Recoveryride replied to danfitzjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ok, there are generally 2 ways discs attach to the wheel: centrelock or 6 bolt. By looking at the disc, you should be able to tell (i.e. does it have 6 bolts). If in doubt, post up a pic. 

Your thru axles may say the dimensions on them. They will stay with your bike, so you just need hubs that are compatible with them. The standard is 12x100 (front) and 12x142 (rear), though there are some exceptions. I'd guess your BMC uses those standards, but check with the manufacturer if in doubt.

PS - whether the wheels are 6 bolt or CL shouldn't actually matter as far as your frame goes; worst case, you'll need to change the discs. You can buy adapters to turn 6B into CL, but not vice-versa (unless I'm mistaken).

Latest Comments