Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman ADV 8.9 2020

After nearly one year with my ADV 8.9,  4500 miles ridden I need to do some component replacements. I'm posting here because there is so little 'out there' at the moment. 

Last week I took a little tumble and later found I can't get bottom gear, it was surprisingly difficult to identify the rear dropout. There are a lot of 'hits' for the ADV 8.9E, and most of those are not in stock.

Google shows for ADV 8.9E  at https://www.rearmechhanger.com/  it is CC191. 

But the pages like this wanrt to be sure you need CC191 as CC195 is identical on one side, the other side of CC195 looks more like the ADV 8.9 I have. Then there is the Vitus hanger B442 which looks the same.

Boardman customer support were great an advised their systems show it is a 442 and sold by .. 
https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/product/derailleur-hanger-442/ " . 

It was in stock, about £28. 

Other changes: the G-One tyres had fairly poor rolling resistance which made 'keeping up'  on hill climbing more difficult, I changed the G-One tyres for Marathon Supreme 32mm front and 35mm rear, rolling resistance better. 

I have bought replacement large chainring FSA 50T to give a bit higher gearing, I previously increased the difference between inner and outer chainrings on two other bikes and found it worked fine. 

Issues -

The gear cables sometimes stick, won't change up. Halfords say they don't need lubricating, I bought their Gold service so the cables will be replaced as part of that. 

The cables fitted new are all too long, they rub on the forks! I have tape to protect. 

The frame has space for larger tyres than G-One's but the fonrt deaillieur moves across into the line of the tyre, this is the limiting factor, not an issue for me, but looks like a design oversight.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

BBB | 2 years ago
0 likes

Take your bike to a proper bike shop and pay more for a proper service. Halfords mechanic don't understand the level of precision required to work on modern bikes and aren't up to date with manufacturers' instructions in detail (Shimano front road/gravel mechs being the best example) Cable choice and routing is crucial for good shifting performance. SP41/Optislick kit is a good starting point.

alan sherman | 2 years ago
0 likes

How do you find the sizing?  The guide suggests a large, I think a medium might fit me better (I'm 184cm).  I really need to sit on one when there is one in a shop.

Neil_XW replied to alan sherman | 2 years ago
0 likes

This pictures goes with my reply which may be pending?  In brief, at 188cm height I could go L or XL, went XL and am happy with that choice. 

ReCycling Dave replied to alan sherman | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm about 183cm and ride a Large ADV which seems right to me

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

Sticky gears and overlong cable housings (taking it you mean the bend from bar to frame is excessive) can go hand in hand. Make sure Halfords are aware when they replace and cut them to the correct length. Then once this service is done (if you can't get your money back if you cancel) never go there again, honest to God, they are butchers.

Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

Gear cables don't need lubricating. If they're sticky or sluggish then you need new ones - inner and outer. New cables should not be rubbing the frame, I'd take it back (some may argue that letting Halfords touch your bike is the root of the problem).

As for tyres, I thought the ADV were supplied with 40mm tyres. Surely the derailleur would have worked OK with those? Are you sure it is aligned correctly?

Neil_XW replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

The ADV did come with 40/38mm tyres, and the derailleur did work ok wit hthem. My point is the frame would allow larger tyres than 40mm, but the front derailleur moves into that space, resticting the use of larger tyres..  

Latest Comments