Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman ADV 8.9 2020

After nearly one year with my ADV 8.9,  4500 miles ridden I need to do some component replacements. I'm posting here because there is so little 'out there' at the moment. 

Last week I took a little tumble and later found I can't get bottom gear, it was surprisingly difficult to identify the rear dropout. There are a lot of 'hits' for the ADV 8.9E, and most of those are not in stock.

Google shows for ADV 8.9E  at https://www.rearmechhanger.com/  it is CC191. 

But the pages like this wanrt to be sure you need CC191 as CC195 is identical on one side, the other side of CC195 looks more like the ADV 8.9 I have. Then there is the Vitus hanger B442 which looks the same.

Boardman customer support were great an advised their systems show it is a 442 and sold by .. 
https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/product/derailleur-hanger-442/ " . 

It was in stock, about £28. 

Other changes: the G-One tyres had fairly poor rolling resistance which made 'keeping up'  on hill climbing more difficult, I changed the G-One tyres for Marathon Supreme 32mm front and 35mm rear, rolling resistance better. 

I have bought replacement large chainring FSA 50T to give a bit higher gearing, I previously increased the difference between inner and outer chainrings on two other bikes and found it worked fine. 

Issues -

The gear cables sometimes stick, won't change up. Halfords say they don't need lubricating, I bought their Gold service so the cables will be replaced as part of that. 

The cables fitted new are all too long, they rub on the forks! I have tape to protect. 

The frame has space for larger tyres than G-One's but the fonrt deaillieur moves across into the line of the tyre, this is the limiting factor, not an issue for me, but looks like a design oversight.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments