Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Braking = Angry Bee Sounds

Can anyone help with this problem, please?

Whenever I brake with the front brake, I always get the angry bee sounds.
Bike: Canyon Endurace (2020).
Brakes: Shimano 105 R7070 hydraulic.
Pads: Shimano K03S Resin.

I've cleaned the pads, brake housing and calipers, even flossing them with string.
Plus bleeding them, removing all air bubbles, and pressing the calipers back out. And also forcing the pad spring further apart with screwdriver shaft.

But after 2 rides the noise returns.
The pads aren't brand new, maybe half way through their lifecycle.
They seem to be closing in simultaneously.

Do you think I should take the brake housing apart, so I can properly clean the calipers?

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

0-0 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Switching the rotors around has cured the buzzing sound... for now  1

I'll order some Shimano Ultegra RT800 - Ice Tech FREEZA Disc Rotors

Pilot Pete replied to 0-0 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good news! I thought it was probably rotor design coupled with pad wear....

PP

0-0 replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm now looking forward to trying out the new rotors.

I thought I'd try Ali Express for once. 2 x 160mm approx £60 with PP
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857520478.html

A bit of masking tape and black spray paint and I'll upgrade them to the Dura Ace version  3

0 likes

0-0 wrote:

I'm now looking forward to trying out the new rotors. I thought I'd try Ali Express for once. 2 x 160mm approx £60 with PP https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857520478.html A bit of masking tape and black spray paint and I'll upgrade them to the Dura Ace version  3

You won't get me included for £60....

The black does look good on Dura Ace, make sure you use heat resistant paint!

PP

0 likes

LOL, nice one  1
I never thought about heat resistant paint. Thanks.

The bees have returned. But I'm still waiting for the new pads to arrive.
So I'll put up with them for now.

Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

Also check that the hose connection to the caliper is tight - a very slight fluid leak will make the brakes squeal.

0-0 replied to Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank for the suggestion  1

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
0 likes

The pads may be clean but they may also be glazed. Replace them and see (hear) what happens. Or 'scratch' them.

0-0 replied to BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'll try scratching them first. As I've got some new replacements on order.
Thank you for the help.

0-0 | 3 years ago
0 likes

A question about the high temperature grease.
This might be a stupid question or genius, you decide  3

Instead of buying a tub of high temp grease and having basically a full tub after I've applied a dab to the back of the pads.
Could I use thermal paste, which is used on the back of CPU chips in your PC?

0 likes

I've never greased the backs of disc pads other than using coppaslip grease on car brake pads many moons ago when I did my own car maintenance!

I would try the other things first, before shelling out on grease as it probably won't cure your problem (it can help with squealing brakes). As yours aren't squealing I don't think they are resonating. I'm pretty sure the pads are worn...if the other checks don't sort it you could then try grease.

PP

0 likes

Will do.
Thank you.

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Any noise is of course coming from (hopefully unesassary) vibration, maybe something is resonating.  This somehow needs damping.  Tighten everything up a bit, maybe even a little more tension on the top cap on the forks.

A careful and light smear of Copper Lock betwwen pads and pistons wouldn't hurt.

It was Edd's go to on Wheeler Dealers.  Ant is good but I miss Edd.

In their "New" series on Quest they seem to be doing UK available cars but in the US.  Which is nice.

0-0 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you  1

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

Are you sure it's not the rotor itself that is worn? When you say 'angry bee' I'm picturing more of a buzz than a squeal yes? I've had that sort of sound caused by the rotor before.

Assuming front and rear rotors are the same size you could swap them around to see if that eliminates the problem on the front.

PP

0 likes

Thank you for the suggestion.
I'm not sure if the rotors are worn. The bike is 9 months old.
Maybe 3.5 k miles on the clock.
I've already replaced the threaded BB. So maybe it is time replace the rotors.

The cassette tool I'm using does fit the front brake centre lock, but doesn't fit over the hub's axle "casing". I'll have to get the Dremel out to modify it.

Edit: yes a buzz sound, not a squeal.

0 likes

That's the end cap, isn't it removable so you can get your tool to fit? Having said that 3500 miles shouldn't mean the rotor is worn out. But swapping them to see if you still get the same noise under braking should eliminate the rotor (or point to it as the cause).

PP

0 likes

Depending on the rotor style, those with 'big' holes in can cause more noise under braking. I swapped to Dura Ace Freeza rotors on one bike and they don't make any noise compared to the previous original rotors which had much bigger square shaped holes and made a sort of buzz noise under braking.

PP

0 likes

And my final suggestion for the noise is worn pads. Fronts will wear out quicker than rears under proper braking technique, hence why you are getting it with the front brake only, and mine start to make a buzzing sort of sound when worn to limits (from memory 0.9mm of pad material remaining).

I always have two sets of new pads hanging above my workbench ready to fit. It's a 5min job and I'd certainly check and even swap your rears to the front to see if it cures the issue.

PP

0 likes

I would have thought the end cap was removable.
But when I lightly gripped in a vice, it didn't want to move, and I didn't want to damage it by gripping it tighter.
I've just ordered a new cassette tool which will fit over the cap.
I will then swap the rotors around.

I've also ordered some sintered pads too.

Thank you very much for your help  1

HoarseMann | 3 years ago
0 likes

could be caliper alignment? worth unbolting the caliper and re-adjusting just to see if it makes a difference.

try a different pad compound? sintered?

try a *very* small amount of high temp grease thinly applied to the back of the pads where they contact the pistons.

0-0 replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
1 like

Thank you for the advice.
I've tried caliper adjustment, but not the other two suggestions.

pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Did you clean the disc as well? What did you clean with? Car brake cleaner is the best think to use. You can also sand the pad down slightly using a fine paper. Ive never had a front be noisy it's normally the back with all the oil and crap that gets thrown up

0-0 replied to pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help.
I've had the problem for months. Yes, sometimes I've cleaned the rotors with isopropyl alcohol, and also used emery paper on the pads, and other times I've not done that.
Just to save the "hassle" of bedding in the brakes again.

The back has always remained quiet for me  3

Latest Comments