Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo peening....

Hi

Recently been in position where have to fit new chain on Chorus group, noted the peening pin requirements to form link.

Having never bothered with any form of quick link, I just break and reform existing links, why would a a Campagnolo chain be any different, that seems to be the function of this joining method, whereas could ignore like other chains joining method and break/rejoin with any link.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

wtjs | 2 years ago
1 like

I have never experienced a broken chain, and for decades I 'got away with' the deprecated practice of pushing the pin out to the side plate and pushing it back in again, but I initially installed chains using the special Shimano pin that you snap off. I have now been through 4 chains with the 9 speed gravel bike, which came with a chain with a quick link. I bought replacement chains with a quick link and bought the tool. The has been no problem with any of these chains.

Roger S | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all these contributions, sounds like it's a Campagnolo thing, not necessarily just because it's 11....
I think they could have at least left the joining pin already pushed in the outer plate on one side, negating the curious guiding start section which then snaps off, easier to just snap the sections together as well, with less of a "hold in place" initial step

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
2 likes

I'm a bit confused by your apparent aversion to quick links. They seem to work well in my experience, and are probably more reliable than a chain tool split/join job.

Nick T replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

They work well, until they don't 

ktache | 2 years ago
4 likes

It was mentioned, I think by Pilot Pete, that putting a rivet out and then in results in a less strong fix, I presume that Campy's peening is just as strong as an unmessed rivet.

Nick T | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm not entirely sure what your question is, are you looking for information on how to peen the pin?

Roger S replied to Nick T | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hi
No, not at all, wondering why do all that when can just break the chain anywhere and rejoin with existing pin still hanging in the link, like I do with a 10 speed chain and chain rivet tool.
Like said, I never use those quick links either in other makes.
Thanks.

stuartcoupe replied to Roger S | 2 years ago
6 likes

The rivets in the chains are not straight sided. There is a lip at each end to help keep the rivet it place so the chain does not snap. Removing the rivet breaks off this lip from one end. I often hear a snapping noise and see the thin metal ring in my chain tool after breaking a chain. So if you just push the same rivet back in to join the chain this would be a weak link. Different brands recomend different methods of rejoining a chain and the Campag method requires peening special rivet to form this lip. 

Nick T replied to Roger S | 2 years ago
3 likes

Reusing the pin creates a weak link in the chain, the special pin, when properly peened, creates a link that's at least as strong as any other in the chain 

Latest Comments