Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale SuperSix Evo for new bike?

Currently have 2016 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod Ultegra, but in fortunate position to be able to buy a new bike. Have been looking at the new Cannondale Hi-Mod, but cheapest option is now £5.5k with Dura Ace groupset, better wheels and no doubt improved carbon frame.
BUT, when I look around and see e.g. new Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 for £3.6k although with Ultegra (but still a great groupset), but still with decent tubeless wheelset and a power meter I don’t need to pay extra to activate; is the Cannondale that good to justify its high price? Any thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

srchar | 3 years ago
5 likes

I can't imagine that there's anything you particularly dislike about your current bike since it's widely reviewed as a great ride and you're considering the same model - which begs the question, would you not be better off upgrading the wheels and fitting a power meter to it, and spending the rest of the money on some trips instead? If you want that "new bike" feeling, new bar tape and hoods at the same time, plus anything else that needs doing - cables, chain, cassette, jockey wheels etc as required. You could even have a custom paint job!

I know that's what I'd be doing if I had a great frame and the upgrade bug - I'd rather ride a good "old" bike in Majorca than a new one in Hertfordshire.

Mathemagician replied to srchar | 3 years ago
3 likes

Agree with this...I don't really know what benefit you think you'll get over your existing bike (I mean, other than the knowledge that it's 24% more laterally stiff while also being 19% more vertically compliant and 21% more aero. Or whatever). Some choice upgrades would be a much better purchase.

Paul Archer replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Should have mentioned that when initially buying the 2016 Cannondale, I bought the wrong size and just adapted to a different position. A bike fit has helped with new handlebars and shortened stem, but ideally the stem needs to be at least another 10mm shorter, but this has just made it really twitchy.

Now I know the right dimensions, I should choose more wisely. My upgrade has already been a carbon tubeless wheelset that made a huge difference.

srchar replied to Paul Archer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough. If I were in the market for a new entire bike (rather than building up a frame and components) with a budget of £anything, I'd take a long hard look at this https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-strada-team-force-axs-etap-aero-road-bik... this https://www.merlincycles.com/pinarello-dogma-f10-dura-ace-di2-road-bike-... and this https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-cento-10-ndr-record-road-bike-190153...

...and then I'd buy the Wilier with 12-speed Record disc.

Secret_squirrel replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

The 3T is hugely compromised by the single chain ring ( IMO - but that's why there are several in the bargain bin right now), the Dogma will shatter your spine and/or wrists.  But there is the suspended/roubaix version around if you look hard enough.

I'd probably choose the Willier too.

Paul Archer replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if the budget stretches to £anything - thanks for the direction on to the Merlin site. Some huge reductions.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
2 likes

My personal view is that anything above the 4K mark is incremental gains.  Either you are paying for the Brand, DuraAce vs Ultegra (or similar), or a super set of wheels or added extras like power meters or because it looks like sex on wheels.  

Do it if it floats your boat and makes you happy, but don't kid yourself that a £5k bike is 1k "better" than a 4K one. You only have to see how heavily discounted the prices on last years flagship bikes are too see that.

YMMV of course - it's such a personal thing.  

Paul Archer replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes the bike looks amazing, but when you look at the spec, I can't see how Cannondale can justify their price, I just wondered whether I was missing something. Maybe there's a guarantee that it will make you a pro rider, and maybe I need to follow my head rather than my heart.

Latest Comments