Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon bikes advice needed for a confused buyer :(

Hi fellow riders,

I am a 45 year male and live in the San Francisco area in the US (good mix of hills and flats all around me). I ride about 200 miles a month, and my favorite rides are around 50 miles with a good mix of hills and flats. I do enjoy the hills and want to get better at climbing. I currently ride a Felt V75 that I bought used for USD $800 two years ago (it's an entry level endurance bike). I want a fast road bike that can help me climb hills faster but also allow me to ride the longer rides (and an occasional century).

I have been researching Canyon bikes. I'm not a bike expert so watching a lot of Youtube videos and reading forums. A few things that are important to me are:
1. Disc brakes
2. My budget is around USD $6,000
3. I love the look of the Aeroad models but I wonder if its too aggressive a design for an old guy like me.
4. I love the stealth black color

So I am really trying to choose between Ultimate, Aeroad and Endurace models, and even though my heart desires an Aeroad, (mostly because it looks gorgeous) my mind says an Ultimate or Endurace will better suit my riding style and goals.

Here are the models that I have narrowed down:
1. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP ($5,999)
2. Endurace CF SLX Disc 9.0 Di2 (on sale for $5,999)
3. Finally the Aeroad that I like and in my budget is Aeroad CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 ($5,499), but I feel it will be too tough on my body for longer rides.

Sorry for the long post, But would love some opinions to help me make my mind.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

skwarczek | 3 years ago
0 likes

Whilst looking at Canyon, take a look at Ribble as well.

The new SL-R Endurance and SL Endurance bikes are awesome bits of kit.

Disc brake, with fully integrated wiring look a thing of booty (beauty)

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-r-series-disc/

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-disc/

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

The weight difference between those bikes is 0.4kg with surprisingly the Endurance being the lightest at 7.2kg (disclaimer very quick googling), and the Aerroad at 7.6kg, and the Ultimate in the middle.

Per this article here :  https://road.cc/content/feature/lightweight-v-aero-which-best-227520

100g is worth 3 seconds over 1.2km of elavation, most of the time aero trumps weight.

So if its speed you're after go for the AerRoad, if its grinning like a loon every time you go out for a ride - go for the one your heart chooses (which might also be the AerRoad if your body can cash the cheques on the riding position).

longassballs | 3 years ago
1 like

Would hold off buying.

The new Aeroad is imminent. Its been riden professionally since the 2019 season and was a surprise when it wasn't available to buy in 2020. Perhaps it was due to be launched at the Tour.

The current Aeroad is a 5+ years old design. The Ultimate isn't far off that either. If there was a great deal to be had perhaps I would be tempted but in these days of shortages I doubt there will be sales.

Really difficult to say which bike you should get. From the sounds of of your riding perhaps you'd be better suited to the Endurace or Ultimate, but if you are only doing long rides sporadically then an Aeroad shouldn't be too tough on your body. There are so many factors involved though, with your position etc.

Try to have a few test rides of bikes to see how they feel

saharan75 replied to longassballs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks @longassballs. Yes I can wait for sure if newere models are imminent.

Just so confused between Aerod, Ultimate and Endurace. But the one area where I really want to get better is climbing and from that perspetive, is Ultimate the best choice?

hmjb replied to saharan75 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Also - tyre clearance on the Aeroad is very tight. You'll be able to get wider tyres on the Endurace or Ultimate.

longassballs replied to saharan75 | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's really difficult to answer that question. Ultimate is the all-round bike, but as Secret_squirrel has said as far as Canyon is concerned there isn't much difference in the frame weights. The positions will be different obviously, and if you're spending that much money on a bike then perhaps you could get a bike fit before buying?

Have a look around the bike shops in your area and ask their advise. You could have a few test rides between an all round bike and an aero bike etc. Bit cheeky if you have no intention to buy, but you might find having the expertise local to you useful - and you may just like a bike enough to buy it! People local to you will know your terrain too, and know which bikes work where.

Another factor with Canyon is right now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either you pay a lot of money for an old bike soon to be replaced, or you take a chance on the Canyon waiting times. When I bought a Canyon the wait time was 3 months that turned in to 9 in reality. I said to myself that if I were to buy a Canyon again it would have to be in stock. New Canyon models you always have to wait for, and with the production delays around right now it'll be even worse

Latest Comments