Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon braking

Hi there. Another wheel post unfortunately. I'd like to know what braking is like on carbon rim brake wheels in the dry. How does it compare to Alu rim brakes? All I seem to find online is how they compare in the wet. Not interested how bad they are in the wet. My best bike doesn't go out in the wet. Any experiences gratefully received. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Prosper0 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Modern carbon rims are fine in the dry, but still not as good as ordinary aluminium. 

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Depends on the pads. Those cork style pads are pretty average, but Campag red (carbon) pads and Swissstop yellow (carbon) pads work very well indeed on modern carbon rims. Indeed, compared to alloy rims you might find them a bit 'grabby' or 'on/off' than an alloy rim. I find them brilliant - absolutely no problem stopping. Just don't ever drag them, so you don't overheat the rims.

Nick T | 3 years ago
3 likes

It depends on the rims. I have older wheelsets with smooth carbon brake tracks, they’re a bit reluctant compared to alloy but never unsafe feeling in the dry. I also have several sets of Bora wheels with the newer 3Diamant braking surface, these are easily as good as an alloy brake track in both wet and dry conditions with the correct pads. Carbon rims are also more durable than alloy, they don't wear down anywhere near as quickly in use. 

Latest Comments