Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon vs Aluminium at the £1500 mark

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at spending around the £1500 mark, at this range should I be looking for a Carbon frame or Aluminium? I am torn between the Canyon Endurace AL 7 Disk or the Ribble R872 Disc. Both weigh about the same, both have the Shim 105 groupset.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r ... ano-105-1/

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes ... ection-tab

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=cany ... z.LG|w.700

The main trade offs seem to be the Canyon has better wheels and an 11-34 cassette vs the Ribble having a 11-32 cassette with a carbon frame.

I’d prefer disc brakes however this caught my eye and I’m astounded that o could afford Ultegra

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/edr-af-endurance-road-bike-white-black-ulteg...

It would mainly be for proper riding with a club and events like London to Brighton over commuting as I’ve got a gravel bike for that so I am not worried about the fragility of CF

Is CF at this price point a bad Idea or is it better from an upgradability standpoint?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

Depending on your size, PedalOn have the Giant TCR advanced 1 on sale at £1350 in m/l.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Let me throw this one into the mix, i have a rim brake version (frame only) which i built up around Uletgra Di1, it rides very nicely.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXPCEDULTR8000/planet-x-pro-carbon-evo-d...

Rilkal47 replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's too dear but the super professional looks amazing. My favourite combination of colours. 

I've not heard great things about Planet X though. 2 year warranty is a little measly too. 

joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think if you have a winter bike then I wouldn't narrow down my choice by going solely for discs. Any chance of a Cannondale Caad 13 within your budget ?

Rilkal47 replied to joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

If I find a used one perhaps. The £1500 is already higher than I originally planned to spend. 

I did spend some time looking at the Synapse though 

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

The old adage is that expensive alloy is better than cheap carbon... cheap carbon is damp and smooth, but can lack the brilliantly exciting stiffness and directness you get from a good alloy frame. I've had a Cinelli Experience for the last 3 years, and with a carbon seatpost the ride is actually brilliant, sharp and direct handling and exciting when you get the speed up. Whereas the cheapo carbon Planet X I had a decade was just a soggy noodle. Maybe cheap carbon has got better!
Always worth taking bikes for a ride, find a friendly bike shop and test, test, test (to adopt a phrase).

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

I think if I were considering aluminium I would certainly look at a Bowman Palace R or 3. I think they look lovely compared to many of the other frames out there.

https://bowman-cycles.com/collections/frame-archive/products/bowman-pala...
https://bowman-cycles.com/products/bowman-palace-3-frameset

PP

Rilkal47 replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

They are beautiful but I'm not looking to build my own. 

edit. I'd like to at some stage but not currently. 

pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

What's the wait on the Ribble and the canyon? Personally I'd probably go Ribble I think they are smashing it at the moment and every time I've looked at a canyon which are fantastic bikes the wait has been months. A good AL frame is great and generally you get a better spec of components compared to a Carbon bike I would and do ride an AL bike for loads of my ridding and have no issues but I also have the same bike in carbon and the ride is better. The Aluminium frame is less compliant at the back so when the road gets rough you feel it more which can slow you down slightly although honestly I could do the same ride back to back and probably get exactly the same average speed. I've also done my longest ride on the AL bike at 140 miles and didnt think much of it. Carbon generally is better but Aluminium can be brilliant as well.

Rilkal47 replied to pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

The wait is approx 21 days on each but I'm not ordering until my work has completed the GCI sign up so it won't be soon. 

My gravel bike is AL and I do feel the slow down over rough terrain. 

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

They all look capable and good value but I'd go for the Ribble. Discs are a big draw and while the wheelset on the Canyon is better than the Ribble, neither are good enough rule out an upgrade down the line.

11-32 or 11-34 is much of a muchness unless you're going somewhere really steep. 105 over Ultegra at club run/occasional sportive level doesn't make sense for me personally.

And I like teal.

bobbinogs replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

I reckon that cassette ratio and a slightly better wheelset aren't deciding factors in this, give it 12 months and there is a good chance that both could be replaced by then.  11/32 & 11/34 are cassettes with a much bigger range than I would use personally, 11t is very much over-rated/under-used for many 'normal' riders and a 34t at the back is a very low gear if matched with a 34 on the front.  

Regarding the frame material, it really is a case of 'it depends'.  I would rather have a good frame fullstop, than a poor one irrespective of material and, IMO, there is a lot of nonsense talked about the magical properties of CF anyway. However, what makes a good and average frame is never easy to determine and most people just use the terms to mean that the frame they like has the right geo and excites them (stack/reach...colour). 

Groupset? Totally agree that current 105 is very good and most people wouldn't notice a difference between it and Ultegra (in fact I run a 4700/5800 combo on my AL winter bike and that gives me everything I want from a groupset, same goes for Potenza on my CF summer bike).

So, it all kind of boils down to...all the options look good and there are many others too.  I would suggest the OP pops down to a decent LBS and has a look at a few, have a chat with the people there and some of the folks in your club...then pick one that fits, you like the look of and want to ride.

hmjb replied to bobbinogs | 3 years ago
1 like

Have you considered second hand? Have a look at Road Cycle Exchange (https://roadcycleexchange.com/) in Kingston and Strype Street Cycles (https://www.instagram.com/sscrecycle/)  - both sell used bikes with warranties and will take I know that Road Cycle Exchange will also take Cyclescheme vouchers as well. You could get a LOT more for your money.

Rilkal47 replied to bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Having a decent LBS would be great but mine aren't great. One fobs you off if you're spending a serious sum of money on a racing bike and the other doesn't carry bikes over £500 or any high end components but is a wizard when it comes to mechanics so I will get him to service it. Weirdly my Halfords is really good but only service and discuss bikes you buy from them. 

I didn't know those gear ratios were so extreme. I don't know too much about that but everything comes with roughly those if it's 105 so I didn't look too much in to it. 

Tbike replied to Rilkal47 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't say a 32 or 34 cassette is extreme just the way things have changed over the years.  I'd say riding up a steep hill into a head wind most people woud be pleased to have larger cassette as it's easier to spin a higher cadence and hopefully reduce the strain on you muscles.

I agree Road Cycle Exchange definitely worth a look.

Pilot Pete replied to Tbike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, but it makes little difference when it comes to deciding which of the two bike to buy.

PP

Stebbo replied to bobbinogs | 3 years ago
1 like

It's not just 11t sprocket is over rated and under used. It could be replaced with a 16 or 18 if the cassette started at 12t. 16 or 18 are much more useful. 

Pilot Pete replied to Stebbo | 3 years ago
1 like

I don't get all this about swapping out an 11 for another ratio being more useful in the middle of the block.

I've never felt I needed something extra in the middle of my cassettes and I run 11-28. I have on occasions thought I could do with something lower than a 28 after 6hrs in the Peak District!

At the other extreme, the 52/11 combo is well used on downhills in the Peaks. Quite often then I think I could do with something higher! But the reality is I can spin out and then tuck in to keep accelerating up to 50mph+ so don't need anything bigger.

So it's horses for courses really as it depends where people ride.

PP

Rilkal47 replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking the Ribble too. It's the one I've liked most from the get go. 

Latest Comments