Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chainring compatability

So i have recently got back into cycling and have been building a bike. I have purchased the campagnolo Athena groupset, only the cranks are campagnolo overtorque not Athena. What choice do i have in terms of compatability with chainrings. Do i have to stick to Athena or can i get super record etc ? Im not sure if the over torque crankset came with its own specific over torque chainring ? Many thanks guys

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Mathemagician | 3 years ago
0 likes

As far as I'm aware over-torque is/was a 30mm spindle on cranksets, and didn't have any bearing on the cranks themselves...therefore replacement chainrings are just whatever fits the bolt circle diameter of the cranks. 

Nice crankset btw. 

Joeygardiner12 replied to Mathemagician | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks i got a cracked ng deal with them, think i paid 100£ brand new old stock. Cant imagine things have changed that drastically in 5 years. How important is it that it is the same as my groupset i.e Athena or will any campagnone be okay to use ? Thanks 

C

Mathemagician wrote:

As far as I'm aware over-torque is/was a 30mm spindle on cranksets, and didn't have any bearing on the cranks themselves...therefore replacement chainrings are just whatever fits the bolt circle diameter of the cranks. 

Nice crankset btw.

Rod Marton replied to Joeygardiner12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

It isn't important that the chainrings are the same groupset as the cranks, but they must have the correct number of holes (!) and the same bolt circle diameter. But be careful: this does not mean that all Campag chainrings will fit as standards have changed over the years. As an alternative, TA make compatible chainrings, which can be useful if you want a non-standard number of teeth.

Latest Comments