Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cheaper tyres, feeling the difference?

After a few punctures on my GP2000s (why so many broken bottles?) its about time to replace, however my pocket is feeling a bit light at the moment. You can get Continental Ultra Sport II  for £13.99 on Wiggle, whilst GPs can vary wildly, but a pair might typically be north of £50. Those of you that have gone 'downmarket' in the past, can you feel the difference? Is it 'all about the tyres' or don't you care if you have strong legs?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
2 likes

I reckon I can feel the difference between lower and higher TPI tyres, better ones just feel smoother somehow even at the same pressure. 
Alleged quality, not so much. 

Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

Lithion 2 are great value (not tried the 3).

TheBillder | 3 years ago
1 like

Ultrasports are a bargain at that price - tyres don't come much cheaper and they have a good reputation. I did buy a pair but sadly not for me. I think only narrow ones left which put me off.

I ride even cheaper Michelin Dynamic Sports (28 mm) which Bicycle Rolling Resistance totally hated for resistance, puncture rate and probably grip too. I've had no punctures on them and can't really comment on the rest, though they feel a bit vague at speed if pressure is not 80+.

If wiggle had the Ultras in 28mm or more I'd get them.

cyclefaster | 3 years ago
1 like

When I went the other way I didn't really "feel" much of a difference in terms of riding comfort. I did notice that I was a couple of seconds quicker on a regular downhill segment on strava on my first attempt. Maybe I was putting in a bit more effort without realising, but having done it 50 odd times and been stuck on the same PR I'm pretty sure this was down to the tyre. 

I've been happy with budget Lifeline tyres from wiggle for about a tenner which I thought were pretty decent. 

Latest Comments