Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cracking Vittoria Rubino graphene tyres?

Got these tyres with a used set of wheels, I'm guessing they're toast and will kill me if I so much as chuck my leg over the top tube? Caused by being stored flat perhaps? They're inflated to spec and seller claimed under 500 miles of use.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Chris Southby | 6 months ago
2 likes

I have a pair of these tyres and one of them has the same issue, cracked almost the entire circumference only six months old and put straight on the bike when purchased. Bike is always stored with wheels off the ground and ridden 5 days / week. More like a manufacturing fault I think. The other tyre bought at the same time is fine.

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

That's really odd, I have a number of the older Rubino Pro model that are still in perfect nick. Did they get cooked by being in the sun or by a radiator?

kil0ran replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Not sure as I bought the wheels secondhand. My money is on them being stored mounted and flat. The cracking on the rear was all the way round though, on the shoulder of the tyre. I think they're dual compound tyres so I wonder if it was a manufacturing defect. Still, no bother, seller gave me a partial refund and I've got a used set of Conti GP5000s on the way.

IanMSpencer replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

That sounds like being ridden very under-inflated. If they are under-inflated then the sidewall will be flexed beyond its design limit.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

Two problems can cause premature tyre aging - light and heat. If tyres are stored in a shed they can get cooked in the summer and off they are near a window, the sun can damage them. Having said that, I suspect compounds like Black Chilli might have a limited shelf life and Conti say they should be no more than 3 years old.

Tyres stored in nice dark cool garages last for years, although,as mentioned below, a good idea to avoid them sitting under-inflated on a bike.

I keep my spares in a box at the back of the garage and some are quite old without suffering. I'm sure I'll find a use for a 23mm one day.

Steve K | 2 years ago
8 likes

I thought you were just telling us they were really good tyres, Wallace and Gromit style.

mdavidford replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
2 likes

Are they made of cheese?

Dingaling | 2 years ago
0 likes

They may have only done 500 miles but then my guess is that they are old. I have Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2 and no such cracking after 4800km.

kil0ran replied to Dingaling | 2 years ago
0 likes

Based on the wheels they came with they're 2-3 years old (OEMs from a Bianchi Oltre)

Dingaling replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

That could be the case but when I had my gravel bike built in 2019 I gave the bike shop builder some old Conti 4 Seasons to put on the bike because there was plenty of life left in them. They had been bought in Sept. 2012 and Mar. 2014 so, when the wheels were 2 years old, the tyres were 7&9 years old.

kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

Pic (should add that the crack is pretty much round the entire circumference

Simon E replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
2 likes

Probably spent too long sat in a garage at low pressure.

I'm good at getting use out of things long after others would have thrown them away but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable riding any distance on those.

Latest Comments