Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube or Lapierre

My cycle to work scheme loc has eventually arrived. My first and second choices for a bike are not available in my size currently:

Cube Attain sl disc (Disc brakes) £1,199

Specialized Allez Elite £1049 (Bike Radars bike of the year)

The Lapierre Sensium 500 2019 (£1,199) is available now but I can find out very little about it. The first 2 "might" be available by September. Wondering if anyone knows much about the Lapierre.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

They'll all be made in more or less the same factory to more or less the same spec with more or less the same components. Buying a bike today boils down to - do you like the way it looks, and does the brand heritage mean anything to you?

Cerysdad replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. They are all mostly Shimano 105 but the cube has disc brakes, the Sensium, 105 BR-R7000 brakes and the Allez has axis calipers. The Cube and Sensium appear more towards endurance than road wrt the Allez. I'm coming from a mtb background many years ago. I get the impression that you regard them as having minimal ride differences ?

Nick T replied to Cerysdad | 3 years ago
0 likes

I mean in terms of material quality. Ride quality will possibly differ, but that's vastly more subjective. Allez isn't really a racey bike any more anyhow, it's gotten more upright over the years and I think they added things like rack mounts. Specialized bikes have always been more stretched out and upright in my experience,  I would expect the Lapierre to be more European style with a shorter top tube to hunch down over. I'd need to see the geometry charts to say for sure, and you'd need to ride them to know what you prefer

0 likes

Ok a very brief look at the charts for an allez and a sensium, trying to roughly compare equivalent sizes - a size 58 allez has 390 reach and 627 stack. An XL sensium has the same 390 reach, but 600 stack, so that should be the racier frame of the two despite being classed as "endurance". If it were me, a size M lapierre could be tweaked to fit my preferred numbers most easily, the equivalent allez would need a shorter stem than I like and deeper drop bars. But that's why I sold my allez and not any other bikes, doesn't fit my body shape as well ymmv

0 likes

Thanks Nick. My personal preference is for the Cube. Was considering the Lapierre but wasn't that tempted. Just looking for an opinion from someone, having experienced riding it. Thanks for comparing the Allez and Sensium. I'm definitely more inclined towards the Allez.

1 like

It's only worth getting the bike you want, in the long run. 

also worth bearing in mind that both the Cube and the Allez are aluminium alloy frames, while the Sensium is carbon - which you may not have noticed

0 likes

I noticed. It's only 0.23kg lighter than the Allez and I assume that the disc brakes on the Cube account for the 1kg difference ? Does the carbon frame make a significant difference other than weight ?

matthewn5 replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Nick T wrote:

It's only worth getting the bike you want, in the long run.

Best bit of advice anyone can give you.

Cerysdad replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, but a little difficult to do when there's no stock to try out. I don't really care much about how it looks and I need to ride it to see how it feels. Depending on stock availability I may have to wait ... according to one shop ... until January. At least I have my mountain bike but, although it's been serviced, the gears sometimes slip under load.

Karbon Kev replied to Cerysdad | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yup, i agree. Its all on the feel when riding, some bikes look great, but the quality of ride is awful. I could list a few great brands where the test ride left me disappointed.

hawkinspeter replied to Cerysdad | 3 years ago
0 likes
Cerysdad wrote:

... I don't really care much about how it looks ....

Heresy!

Seagull2 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have Lapierre Sensium 500 disc 2016 model,  got fitted with bike fitter when i bought it, very happy with it,  am Sunday morning 50-60 km merchant, not fast but not too slow,  did 200km sportive on it last summer and went v well   

Cerysdad replied to Seagull2 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I was definitely considering it but moot point now .... out of stock 🙂. It was not meant to be.

Cerysdad replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

.... but I went towards the light ...

Latest Comments